1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hairdresser sued for refusing job

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by rav009, Nov 12, 2007.

1. rav009

rav009 Active member

Views?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=492407&in_page_id=1770

Initially, I thought it was ridiculous. Her trying to sell image? If she didn't look like Krusty the Clown after a cheap sex change operation; I could accept that. The idea that one need display one's hair in order to cut someone else's hair is patent nonsense. The guy who used to cut my hair was bald.

However, upon further reflection I can see her side of the argument to an extent. Notwithstanding, what's your take on it?

R

2. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

in my opinion, that lawsuit is completely bogus. but then again, it's the UK; people get their personal liberties trampled all the time for...other people's personal liberties... >.<

a business's image, especially in fashion/entertainment related industries, makes or breaks said business. the owner was in the right to make her employees fit certain critieria--it's part of the job description. people will always be naturally prejudiced, and if a customer goes into a baby GAP and sees someone in bondage wear and such, they are less inclined to believe this employee knows anything about the products they are there to sell. it's the same thing with this situation.

religious freedom is great; i believe anyone should have the right to believe whatever they want and do whatever they want to themselves, so long as it doesn't hurt or majorly inconvenience anyone else. in this case, such a black sheep could have curtailed the salon's business. <edit> however, people who hold to certain beliefs have to deal with the consequences of holding those beliefs. not everyone has to belive the same thing someone else does, nor should they. everything you stand for affects society and thusly the way society affects you. everyone has to compromise--that's life </edit>

plus, employers should be allowed to hire based on whatever merits they see fit as to best serve their business. perhaps someone else was also applying, who had the exact same references but wore more "urban" styles--this person would create more business and therefore stands to further the business.

Lawyers wear suits, cops wear badges, hairdressers expose their dead protein strands. period.

..and to continue with my small, nonsensical rant, this woman was rejected *25 times*. 25 frickin' times...doesn't that speak for the industry, here? who is she to sue the last one, a new business still trying to break even.

this woman wants publicity, she wants to have superior rights and privileges, and she wants to have her dreams handed to her without ever compromising.

she needs to open her eyes and realize this is [bold]life[/bold], not some perfect fantasy.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  3. rav009

rav009 Active member

This post scares me a little. I said almost the exact same thing when someone showed me this. Eeek...

4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

changed your tune a bit then, ol' rav?

5. rav009

rav009 Active member

Yep, s'pose so. Its a good thing, right?

6. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

that's relative, i suppose. the last thing i want is to convert everyone to look through my eyes; at the same time, i don't want anyone doing anything to limit my capacity to live according to my choosing, so long as i don't limit anyone else to live according to their choosing....

as godly as i seem, the Auslander is sometimes wrong. i'm only human (much as i'd love to be more).

continuing with my semi-relevant train of thought, my belief is that the point of life is to learn...to discover Truth, albeit Truth itself is relative, as everyone is seeking a different truth, often deciding the answer before they have actually found...

...nevertheless, to learn, one must constantly adapt and compromise to new situations. when we don't have to adapt or compromise to these new situations, i.e. getting one's way as this Muslim woman is trying to do, one ceases to change oneself and the learning process stops.

i have found that people of...vast or conservative spiritual belief (or altogether lack thereof) tend to act as those they have the answer and are just putting together an argument for it, but are not indeed seeking truth...

'tis only those with belief quantified in moderation, from my experience, that continue their whole lives serving a generally positive purpose and seeking Truths with open minds.

and on the topics of learning and Truth, i am speaking on learning on more levels than the factual. people learn with their hearts and emotions, with their life-long experiences, pains, pleasures, and spiritual revelations, etc etc.

coming back to answer your question...well, is it a good thing? have you learned something, thinking through the situation? have you examined all possible consequences and social variables? to me, whichever way you lean on this subject doesn't matter--we are free to differ in opinion, as that is one of the great wonders of personal liberty. however, if changing your mind was the consequence of such thorough examinations, then yes....

...it's a very good thing.

*edit*
    been a long time since i've posted like that... >.>

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  7. rav009

rav009 Active member

Auslander, evidently I totally misunderstood your post.

No, I haven't 'changed my tune' towards the argument. Ignore my previous post. As suggested by my first post, I'm in two minds about this. Its a perplexing issue and I'm still yet to be swayed. But to rid you of your confusion, I thought you meant 'tune' as in posting style, whoops; *slaps wrist.*

I'd never 'change my tune' like that. That would be pathetic, mon frere ;)

8. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

Sehr gut. Du bist ein Denker--dieze Intellegenz ist wichtig.

it is a perplexing issue, and the system is definitely not perfect; however, i believe that the law, when it fails, must fail on the side of safety. just like the law is required to err on the side of safety and set a guilty man free if they cannot prove him guilty without a doubt, i believe this lawsuit should be thrown out.

maybe this woman could open her own salon for ...women embracing the Muslim style?

9. rav009

rav009 Active member

Heh, what? Babble fish says something along the lines of: 'Very well. You are a philosopher -- dieze Intellegenz is important.' Sorta quaint, hehe.

Agreed. But with the whole equal opportunities for minorities, would that not be the 'safe' option on many levels?

And what would be the significance of this? Is this the realistic option? She can't find work so she makes work come to her? Feasible...or not.

/me is still neutral. But will remember to debate elsewhere as this seems a bit of a failure. :|

10. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i'll come back and add more while i'm at work, but just to say one thing now:

i basically hate this issue because this lawsuit equates to saying: "hey, you don't like me or something about me, so [bold]you[/bold] have to change." i hate the PC-burea-bullshit that society seems to be all about today.

honestly, it's personal friggin' choice. if somebody doesn't like what you do, then you don't work with them. as long as no one besides you yourself is physically harmed, no one should possess the authority to tell you to do anything otherwise. with governments starting to regulate businesses to this specific of a level, i'm ready to grab my mini-arsenal and start a revolution.