1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hal.dll error again NOT simple

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by tevster, Aug 1, 2007.

1. tevster

tevster Member

OK listen I have a Toshiba notebook that runs Windows xp thats pretty good but 2-3 years old. I forgot the log-in password so I fiddled with it and now I have a real problem because now my computer does NOT work. I can't do a single thing on it because there is a missing or corrupt hal.dll. I do not have any sort of disk to boot it on I'm cheap so I want it fixed for free. I am 17 and I sort of know what i'm doing but please is there any relatively simple things I can do to get my machine back?

P.S-on this totally separate machine I am running basic Vista any downloads or anything I can get from it to put on a bootable cd?
    that I ca download then boot onto xp to get it to work?

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Have you purchased ANY OS software?

3. tevster

tevster Member

I don't no exactly what you mean but no It already had xp and I haven't bought any OS upgrades or installs or anything but i have the product key

4. braunerf1

braunerf1 Member

doesnt sound to good if you dont have ur XP disk. try to borrow a disk off a friend, because at least you have the product key. if you can get a disk, i will give you more info on what you can do. but for now, when you start it up, can you actually log on to windows?

5. tevster

tevster Member

Nope the first options are setup and boot from cd-rom
    and right after it displays "missing or corrupt hal.dll"