1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Half a grand and I still have problems. *kicks machine*

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Toiletman, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Well, if I kicked my machine I would actually start crying. Firstly, it's a bit heavy, secondly, I spent over 2 grand on that machine. 1 kick does not equal 2 grand I'm afraid.

So anyway, here's my deal! A sad one actually. I'm getting lower than X800 standard with a X800 card .(which I spent $600, so hear me out here)

It's not ten or twenty frames, it's actually more like a 40 - 100, into the "low" 30s and 40s. I have the latest DirectX 9.0c and the Catalsyt 4.11 Beta, turned all the settings in the Control Panel to Application Preference except for TruForm, which is off.

So here are my questions:

1. When I DXDiag my machine, everything is fine, no conflicts are happening etc. Basically my machine doesn't detect any problems with it. Could it be that my card isn't installed properly, physically? You see, there seems to be a minor problem with my card. The plug socket where you plug in the monitor isn't pushed right back in the perfect position, so although my monitor plug is secure on that socket, I can't screw in the side screws. Could this effect my video performance?

2. Could my card, (OEM), have a problem with the Catalyst Drivers as a whole? Should I switch to the Omega Drivers?

Thankyou for your time,

Toiletman.

2. Radon

Radon Guest

Hi Toiletman,

I work for a computer company in Australia/Canberra. Have you benchmarked your card on 3dmark 2005 with the x800? If so, what was your score on default settings? Although I dont benchtest with beta drivers I will try a benchmark in 3dmark 2005 tomorrow and get back to you.

Cheers Paul

3. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Whoops, stupid me, I forgot to include the scores :p

This was benchmarked on the trail downloadable version of 3DMark 2005. I also patched it with the hotfix.

Result: 3810 3DMarks.

4. EYEShurt

EYEShurt Regular member

dude that sux after spending that much if i had to say it was anythink i would say its the driver install the omega drivers and give it a go with pc mark 2005.

5. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Omega Drivers it is! I'll install it and report back with the results!

6. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

I didn't do a PCMark2005 test, BUT, I went onto the current games I played (with the original ATi drivers), and there was virtually no difference AT ALL with the Omega Drivers in frames per second. I think I might've gotten a 10 fps boost, but I'm still getting lower than X800 standard.

7. EYEShurt

EYEShurt Regular member

id ring up radeon and ask them cause that is a real bum

8. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

I'm relutanct to long-distant dialing, SO, what I'm going to do is, do a clean uninstall of my drivers, clean up using Driver Cleaner, AND then install Omega Drivers, as see if there's any improvement.

If there's none, I'll probably reformat.

9. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Thing is, I run Half Life 2 perfectly, but I have fps problems with Counter-Strike: Source, while no one has them... lol.

Life is so unfair for me and my buddy X800... =(

10. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

I've done a clean install of the Omega Drivers (the version that is based on the 4.12 Catalyst Betas), and there is VERY little difference. This is just plain wierd, I haven't come across anybody who has had this problem... any more suggestions? =(

11. EYEShurt

EYEShurt Regular member

well my next suggestion is that its a dude card as i said id ring up radeon

have u got another system that u can stick it in cause ur comp might just be agp 4x ?????
    id really like to know what is wrong with it lol ok later days

12. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

My motherboard (K8T Neo-FSR) is definintely AGP8x and the card is set at AGP8x.

13. EYEShurt

EYEShurt Regular member

my next thing is dud card

14. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Well... did I mention it was OEM? AND, I bought it from a reseller, by the name of eSkyNet. Now they're very professional, and they're very well respected, but.. they're one of those "small shops", if you get what I mean.