1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Half Life 2

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by Anubisl13, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Anubisl13

Anubisl13 Member

Has anyone been able to copy half-life 2?
    Ive tried it twice and both times the game wont load.
    I copied by copying the files off the disc via ftp, creating an ISO with qwix and then burning the image onto dvd using nero at 2x.
    Ive copied other games exactly the same way and they all work.

2. Degallle

Degallle Regular member

It might just be some hidden files, maybe. If you can use something like pxhddloader or something else to copy the files to the hdd on the xbox first then ftp in and grab the files and go from there. I'll look around see if there are any to download or if there are any problems but there shouldn't be.

Degalle

3. steimy

steimy Active member

you may just want to try other programs, or download it (since you own the game that should be legal)
    My copy works just fine all the way through.

I usually use Craxtion4 to rip the game from the Xbox and create the ISO, then DVD Decrypter or IMGburn to burn the ISO to a good quality 8X DVD-R at 4X
    (to use craxtion4 you must go to the microsoft download page and download and install the ".net framework" on your PC if you do not already have it. Without this Craxtion will fail to start after you have installed it)

It can obviously be done since there have been copies of the game floating around the net since it came out.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  4. raptor190

raptor190 Guest

i hate half-life it stinks like u HAHAHAH JK

5. hakentt

hakentt Member

half-life2 game is about 6gig, it cannot fit into dvd-r. you will need dual layer DVD

6. Anubisl13

Anubisl13 Member

Ok sorry I havent replied to anyone i got banned for a comment i wrote to sum1 who was my friend. Ive tried copying it with craxtion and again it doesnt work, if its like 6gb howcome when i copy it its less than 2gb?

7. ovrfiendx

ovrfiendx Regular member

I'm having same problem with this one. unleashed x won't load it. I Put it on a dvd by itself and it freezes at the first loading screen. I have put it on a mltigame disk and other games work fine, but again half life 2 freezes. Please can someone help us. I'm gonna try Evolution X next. I'm very new to xbox modding so I don't know if it has to due with the dashboard or not. Thanks for any help in advance.

8. Anubisl13

Anubisl13 Member

Ah sum1 with the same problem as me, this probably isnt the right place to bring this up but im also having trouble copying Fable, Conflict desert storm 2 and SWAT global strike team, any help with these or HAlf-life 2 would be much much appreciated

9. ovrfiendx

ovrfiendx Regular member

I got it to work. Seems the problem was the programs I was using make buggy ISO's. Craxtion and Qwix are the programs I refer to. As I said before I just started XBOX modding/Backup and these were the programs that the tutorials I was viewing said to use. Well I used them both for Half life 2 and Americas Army. Half life would not even boot and AA would freeze after the obstical course. I tried everything burned with DVD Decrypter, burned with ImgBurn, burned at 1,4,&8x,Made seperate disks, made a multidisk, and it was the same every time.

Then I found a thread that said to use DVD2XBOX to put the game on the XBOX HDD, Then FTP it to computer HDD, then use CloneXB to make the ISO, and finally use DVD Decrypter to burn @ 4x. So far has worked every time. Granted this is only for the 2 game named, above so far that's all I own.

Hope this helps some one like it did me.

10. ovrfiendx

ovrfiendx Regular member

Made that alternative way a little easier.

Just use CloneXB for the whole proccess.
    It has a built-in FTP Client
    I used it to transfer and make an iso of Pariah.
    Worked perfect.

I think Craxtion and Qwix make very buggy ISO's.
    CloneXB seems the way to go. Every disk I have made with it works.

I even tried to make a multigame disk with Cration using the ISO's created with CloneXB (both of which worked fine when burnt to a single disk). The resulting ISO(made by Craxtion multigame disk wizard)did not work.

So untill I find a better way I'm sticking with CloneXB.

Hope this helps someone.

11. Anubisl13

Anubisl13 Member

I tried ur first way of doing it, clonexb then dvd decrypter.
    Didnt try it with half-life, but i did try it with fable which was already copied onto my hard drive cuz it wouldnt copy onto disc.
    it almost worked, the disc works but when you load a game it loads and when it finishes it says error the disc is dirty or damaged
    thinking about trying again with half life but im wastin lots of dvds

12. Anubisl13

Anubisl13 Member

ok so ive tried making an iso of half life 2 using clonexb to copy the files straight from the disc, but i have 2 problems,
    1. when i start the copy it says failed to optimize file layout
    2. default.xbe fails to copy and the process is aborted

how did u do it?

13. ovrfiendx

ovrfiendx Regular member

I got the first error also, but it still worked.
    Dunno about the second error.

Try the first way using DVD2XBOX and see if that helps. I don't recall getting any errors with that method.

14. steimy

steimy Active member

Use Qwix or Craxtion, or an FTP program like FlashFXP
    My back up works just fine.

15. ovrfiendx

ovrfiendx Regular member

@steimy
    Your advice is always helpfull from what I have seen, but those two programs have not made a working disk for me yet. CloneXB has not failed yet. Seems like a simple choice.

@Anubisl13
    I found this on Optimize Layout. Read last paragraph. I use Unleashx so I think that's why I get that error. As for your second error I'm still not sure. All I can advise for now is to double check your network settings and make sure your xbox and computer are connected before atempting to copy a game.

Optimize Layout
    Keep the optimized layout of the files from your original XBOX disc when creating a
    copy from it. This should ensure the best possible loading times for your copies.
    It can be used when :-

> Copying an original disc or copied disc from the XBOX via FTP
    > Copying a copied disc from your local PC DVD/CD ROM drive
    > Using the 'Rebuild Existing ISO tool'

IT WILL NOT AMAZINGLY TRANSFORM YOUR EXISTING COPIES INTO A SUPER
    FAST LOADING VERSION. If the source disc you are copying from is not an original
    or was not created using CloneXB or a combination of XDVDFS_Dumper and
    XDVDFS_Maker then this will only keep the non-optimized layout of your source disc
    or ISO. Also whatever FTP server you use on your XBOX must support the EXECUTE
    command (Evox does) for this option to work.

16. steimy

steimy Active member

@ovrfiendx
    that is very odd. I have used nothing but Craxtion4 (or an FTP program on occasion) to make back ups and have not had one that didn't work. Must just be different PC like different programs or something. I say as long as the method you have works for you, stick to it like super glue. Same goes for the media you use. If it works every time then don't switch it.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  17. ovrfiendx

ovrfiendx Regular member

@steimy

Yeah I think it's odd to. Seems that alot of people use Crax, but I can't get it too make a disc that works the whole way through with it. It really sucks cuz I want to make multigame disks. I have even used my method to get good ISOs then Crax for multigame and the resulting disk, one game won't load the other freezes after first training mission. Then when I use the same ISOs for single game disks they work fine. So all I can conclude is that Crax is making bad ISOs.

18. steimy

steimy Active member

i am not really sure that it is the program. It is more likely just something with your system and the .net framework that craxtion runs on. I have made more back up games with it than i care to mention and have not had any problems with it. Including Half-Life 2 which i played all the way through.
    But whatever works for you, stick with it. No need wasting discs if you know the program is not working for you.