1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Half my screen goes black

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by Troglodad, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Troglodad

Troglodad Member

So out of the blue, my two year old LG 42" LCD has a problem. The screen either doesn't come on, or gets multicolored lines, etc on one half. If I go up to the Tv and gently tap the case, I can get it to stop and work flawlessly for hours.

I have the TV hooked up to a power strip

This past friday, my father in law and I were working out a short circuit in the house that killed power to some rooms- rooms on a different breaker than the TV's room is on. As he tested breakers, and before I could stop him, he grabbed the TV room breaker and toggled it back and forth several times to my horror. I told him "STOP!" and told him I had my computer modem, TV etc all hooked up on that breaker and toggling it was bad for them. The following day is when the TV started acting up. The following monday, we had storms and the power went on and off and on several times.

Could this repeated on/off of power damage my TV? Or has it just coincidentally started going bad? I've read that there is a rare loose something or other that can create the half-black screen.

2. Jeffrey_P

Jeffrey_P Regular member

Not so sure what the problem is but maybe you should have disconnected all AC things before powering back up.

Having a power surge protector really is not that reliable unless it is a very well made, not a $10.00 special from Fry's

My uncle got zapped by lightening last fall. No surge protector will save you from a 10k> voltage spike. You have to use common sense.

A lot of people think circuit beakers will stop you from being zapped. No, it is to protect wiring when it get hot and burning the house down.

Jeff

3. Jeffrey_P

Jeffrey_P Regular member

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012