1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

half softmoded xbox confusing me. plz help.

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by djmazz, May 28, 2007.

1. djmazz

djmazz Regular member

how do ppl. sorry if its bin asked before but im quite new to xbox's.
    my xbox i version 1.4. a mate tryed softmodding it but seems to of failed.
    so im gonna have a go my self.
    iv checked the board for the solder points and there all correct now as far as i no.
    i have 3 hdd, a seagate medalist st32122a
    a seagate st310014ace
    a trigem spinpoint sv1533d/tge
    one of them is the original but not sure which.
    anyway, when i plug them into my xbox, one at a time, and turn it on the lights flash red.
    the lad i gave it to said somet about the hdd's been the wrong ones. i dont see how as one is the original.
    so, can anyone tell me,
    1, are my hdd's any good?
    2, what do i need to do? lol

iv honestly search all over but im just gettin confused with it all.
    im not asking for someone to hold my hand through it, altough it would be appreciated, just a step in the right direction.
    any help would be greatly appreciated. thanx in advance.

2. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

Are you receiving error codes? Well, those on screen messages will let you know whats going on with those drives. Then you'll know what to do.

3. djmazz

djmazz Regular member

nice one mate.
    ill try and do somet search on error codes then.

4. steimy

steimy Active member

are you 100% sure that one of those is the original hard drive from that Xbox. It can not just be any hard drive from any Xbox. It has to be the exact one from that exact xbox. Unless you have a mod chip installed then an Xbox can only use the drive that it came with because it is locked to that console with a code in the EEPROM file.
    Also if your friend did not know what he was doing he could have left the drive unlocked somehow which will also cause it not to load. Now, if you happened to have a copy of the EEPROM file on your PC (which you should do first thing after modding it, trust me) then you could take any compatible hard drive and use your PC and a program called xboxhdm and built the hard drive so that it works in that Xbox. Without the EEPROM file you can't do this, unless you do a hotswap i think, and that is a pain. And you would still have to have at least one drive in the Xbox that works.

So that i understand, you turned off the xbox, tried a drive, then turned it on. And not one of them would boot up? If this is the case you may want to send it to a modding shop in your area and have a chip installed. Then you can take any drive (on the compatibility list) and use it in the Xbox. Then use an auto installer disc like Slayer 2.7 to format the drive and install all kinds of great programs. If you play on Xbox Live then this may not be a good option. I am not sure if the chip could still get you banned if it was disabled and you used an original disc or not.

In order for you to be able to re-softmod it yourself you would have to at least get one of thse drives, put it in, and have the Xbox load. Without that i do not think you will be softmodding anything. But if you can get it loaded then re-softmodding it will not be hard.

Last edited: May 29, 2007