1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Halo 2 for Vista is BS

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by 88Camaro, May 9, 2007.

1. 88Camaro

88Camaro Member

Does anyone else think its a bunch of crap that Halo 2 for PC will only work with Windows Vista?...thats just a tactic by microsoft to get people to buy their new OS since most users are not happy with Vista simply because XP runs better with less problems...

2. chubbyInc

chubbyInc Regular member

Ya but now people will start buying Vista.

3. 88Camaro

88Camaro Member

What, are you the microsoft representative here?...many people do not want Vista...so we are expected to put up more money to switch to a different OS just top play a game made by the same company?

4. vdp

vdp Member

Yes i do agree this is not fair, considering i am a prominent halo pc player, hopefully there will be a hack to port it over to Xp. Is that possible any insight would be helpfull?

5. 88Camaro

88Camaro Member

a hack would be nice, i hope eventually someone can do that...

6. chubbyInc

chubbyInc Regular member

Oh don't get too flamed, if people can emulate older games or even console games to work on XP then I'm sure given a couple weeks there'll be an emulator/patch/crack... for it to be played on XP.

I know 2 people who have Vista, it ain't that all bad, they just can't install any programs.....but it does show the date/time so there is a purpose for Vista.

7. corn

corn Guest

ROTFL!!
    I would switch to linux before I go to Vista (not saying linux is bad, it just seems very very complicated).

8. 88Camaro

88Camaro Member

"it ain't that all bad, they just can't install any programs"

So if its not "...all bad," it could mean that its "some bad," or a "little bad." And if thats true, along with not being able to install many programs, then why spend the money for this OS that might have some purpose...windows 98 still has a purpose (to play older pc games) but that doesn't mean we should go back to that, or change to something new that doesn't work as well all round as XP still does.

9. chubbyInc

chubbyInc Regular member

Man, you ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer. Probably one of those butter knives or something. Go get Xbox360 or just install Vista and stop your crying.

10. waveform2

waveform2 Member

Why not buy the game, and then get a 2nd hand copy of Vista from one of those people who don't like it and want to go back to XP? Or variations thereof. :) The words DUAL BOOT come to mind.

You could also try this:
    http://www.petitiononline.com/H2XP2000/petition.html

Halo2 runs in DirectX 10 right? There is a DirectX 10 download for XP now, anyone tried that to see if it works?

Knowing M$, there's probably a polite little "This is not Vista" error dialog in the code.

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  11. damo_red

damo_red Member

i totally agree this is bullshit. halo 2 will be only slightly tweaked from the xbox version. its an old game. it dosent need to be on vista, and run in directx10. games like crylsis yaaaaaaa maybe. but definitly not halo 2!!!

Vista is far too unrealiable, i converdted to xp64 a year back and wish ed at the time i dint. i coulndt install drivers for my printer, webcam. and all my old games dont work no more.

12. faqman98

faqman98 Regular member

y'know, this isn't the first time MS has done this. for example when windows 95 came out they released a doom for it to get reluctant users to get the new GUI cuz all of the windows programs are accually GUI's and not acually OS's cuz they are just pretty versions of dos

13. AE27

AE27 Regular member

Halo 2 Runs in DirextX 9 on Vista. The game is coded only to run in Vista. There is no DirectX 10 for XP, only for Vista

14. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Read This...

These are essentially beta files but heres a link

Also the final release for this software or whatever you would call it is due to be released soon

Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  15. vdp

vdp Member

PeaInAPod what does that mean i can install those files and play halo 2 vista on my xp

16. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Well there are still bugs with the compatibilty being worked out, but essentially, follow the directions that came with the download as to were to put the files. Do as they say and they should allow you to play Halo 2 on Windows XP.

17. tobins1

tobins1 Member

i havnt gt the game but played at freinds
    DEFINITELY WORTH GETTING

18. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

I agree that it is complete BS that Halo 2 is only for Vista. (BTW, I bought a LEGAL copy for $50!) I used a 3.6Ghz Pentium 4 With HT and a Nvidia 6800GT to play Halo 2 on vista and found it lagging like hell. Then, being bored I called M$ to complain. I told them that it is complete BS that Halo 2 runs only on Vista and I said that since the Xbox is 733Mhz with DirectX 7.1, it is completly possible for XP to run it. M$ said "Halo 2 uses advanced technologies that Windows XP cannot fulfill, therefore the game only runs on Windows Vista. Completly unsatisfied I waited for an XP patch and sure enough, I got one (Wowloader.exe) Now I am running Halo 2 on XP on a CeleronD at 2.93Ghz with an ATI 9800 PRO without any lag, not to mension that the settings here are turned up all the way and on Vista it had to be on lowest. You can download the auto installer to Halo 2 XP from here: http://www.freewebs.com/nehalssite/downloads.htm Use at your own risk, I created the installer myself and the 3 computers I tried it on made it impossible to run Halo 2 on it. (IDK why!)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  19. 88Camaro

88Camaro Member

Thanks for the reply "core2kid," it seems clear that its just a marketing strategy to entice leary buyers to upgraded to the ominous vista OS, using Halo 2 as the bait so many gamers desire to have.

20. john_jaxs

john_jaxs Member

The XP crack can be found ***somewhere out there on the internet***

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007