1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Halo 2 PC to require Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by Xian, May 28, 2006.

1. Xian

Xian Regular member

http://bungie.net/News/TopStory.aspx?link=updatemay262k7
    From the Bungie weekly update
    Will I need a DirectX 10 graphics card to run Halo 2 on PC?
    No. Although you will require Windows Vista to play Halo 2 on a PC, you won't necessarily need to upgrade your graphics card to do it.

This reminds me of a thread from a couple weeks ago where someone was complaining about Age of Empires III not installing on Windows 2000, only XP. I said then that forced upgrades is a tactic they have used many times in the past, and now it looks like they are still up to the same tricks. I remember Bungie announcing that the PC version would have more content than the Xbox version, so in order to play it you will have to upgrade to Vista.

One other thing I noticed in the announcement, PC players won't be matched up against Xbox players and vice versa when it comes out.

2. iPirate

iPirate Regular member

Dont you know MS they want you to buy MS Vista because they know it will fail, OSXI will dominate when it comes out. Besides, Halo 2 is so last gen

3. keithyb

keithyb Regular member

Vista has been pushed back to the later part of 2007 anyway. That is pretty far away.

4. iPirate

iPirate Regular member

lol and then halo 3 will be out, marketing scheme

5. keithyb

keithyb Regular member

Yeah tell me about it! Then the AMD 940 socket wiill be out using the ddr2 ram. We will all need new bother boards and ram. Then DDR3 ram will be coming out in 2007. So we all upgrade to DDR2 and now DDR3 is out! How exciting!

6. iPirate

iPirate Regular member

microsoft wants your money

7. keithyb

keithyb Regular member

Yeah they allready have the code name for the OS they are building after VISTA but I can not remember it right now. Kind of said..maybe they should worry about VISTA right now. Google is sueing them because IE7 that comes with it will default to the microsoft search engine. Google is saying that it takes about 10 minutes to change it to google if you wanted too. Kind of funny.

8. iPirate

iPirate Regular member

why would they be working on another OS?

9. keithyb

keithyb Regular member

Because they think VISTA will fail again! Lol Im pretty sure they started on XP when 2000 came out

10. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

That would be a thread I started a while back. I am not interested in Halo 2, but I feel the same about it. MS is such garbage. Vista may be a crap OS, but since it will be OEM on 95% of Computers, it may not fail.

They are sort of forcing a bad product on us indirectly by it being preinstalled on almost every computer, & Directly by embedding DirectX into the OS and making it non-compatible with DX9 or previous OS, and by forcing games to require DX10.

Maybe OpenGL or SDL will get more popular for game developers. If I knew how to do that I would totally make my own games. Heck, if I knew how, I would make my own components too, like CPUs, GPUs, Motherboards and such. It would be nice to actually see how an Octo Diamond core CPU would perform. It should conduct better and produce far less heat. Maybe I should start reading up on this stuff... I could rule the world in 6 years.

I guess this means that coming soon (in 2012)...

JaguarGod the Game

Optimized for:

256bit Double OctoCore Diamond XJ12 CPU @ 18.2GHz per core (145.6GHz Total) w/1GB Cache
    JGodX GPU with 2048bit bus 64GB JGR RAM and virtual quad VPU offering unlimited virtual memory and Bandwidth
    128GB Jaguar JGR12000 RAM @ 9.6GHz
    Ultra JGRGDI HDD 24k RPM w/128MB buffer
    on a JGX012 Mobo with JCIExpress slots
    Running the Free/Open source 256bit Jagux/Linux OS

All for the price of $498.63 plus shipping.

That would show them to make a $400 OS obsolete in 4 years...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  11. brazen521

brazen521 Member

I really don't care if I have to buy vista to play halo 2. I've been using the beta and I love it and plan on buying it asap. It's pretty much just Microsoft Windows: Mac edition. I've got a Mac and a PC just because I like features from both of them but Vista is looking pretty appealing and it comes with programs that pretty much just mimic iLive '06. Kind of funny actually that Microsoft is trying to create a good OS and uses Tiger as a model. I bet they'd love that I just said that.

12. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

Just keep in mind that Vista does not allow you to make backups of Anything and will have tons of Embedded DRM... While you will be able to play Halo 2, you will not be able to make a backup of any of your CDs or DVDs. You will have to multiboot with Windows XP or some other OS.

Also, forcing an upgrade to Vista or any OS to be able to use something you buy that is not meant for commercial purposes, is not something I agree with. I do not know how Halo 2 will benefit from Windows Vista. I could not find anything about the extra content, but I only skimmed the article.

13. Xian

Xian Regular member

Vista doesn't allow you to make backups of anything?

I am not sure where you got that idea, Nero is working flawlessly in the betas and has already recieved the certified for windows vista logo.
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=17194

Or see this from Clone DVD's change log:
    Version 2.8.8.1: 2006 02 01
    - New: Support for Windows Vista

Or Any DVDs change log:
    5.8.3.1, 2006 01 21
    - New: Added support for Microsoft Windows Vista (Beta 2)

14. keithyb

keithyb Regular member

Yeah man all I see is backup software companies making beta software for Vista. Plus no matter what is done, or how mucht hey try to prevent something, there are always ways to acomplish what your trying to do.

15. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

Can you make backups of DVD Movies, Music CDs and PC Games on it? Please make some tests if possible because I have read in many sites that Vista automatically locks your hardware when you try to make a backup of copyrighted material.

I was not talking about data backups. It would be stupid to not allow that. Try out software like DVD Decrypter, AnyDVD, etc... I do not use Windows Vista or Longhorn or whatever it is called. I could have misunderstood what I read.

I also read that Vista will not support some current hardware because of something to do with region coding.

16. sahiljit

sahiljit Regular member

Bill gates wants my penis because he doesnt have any