1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hamster powered computers

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by billybob, Jun 4, 2006.

1. billybob

billybob Regular member

Yeh ill have a look what power it is, i go to my dads on sunday.

Ill post before then anyway.

Really greatful

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, the mods are doing their job. I'd keep on their side or you could disappear for more than a week. Oh, of course, triock. I'd forgotten about that name!
    Estuansis - Nah, I'd avoid the 4000+. For less money you can get an X2 3800+, Overclock it and you end up with speeds comparable to an FX-60 or two FX-55s (they'd be 4300+s and there's two). Much better CPU.
    Interesting way to get started in computers!
    I basically had all my upgrades and things done for me in the old days, then in 2004 I bought the origins of this rig and thought "right, this upgrading lark sounds easy, I'll have a go". In August of that year I looked for a GPU to replace the 9200 it came with, and eyed the X800XT, the current world leader, but since I had AGP, that card was unavailable for several months, so I finally grabbed hold of the X800 Pro I have now for a giant £289 ($480 in literal translation, $540 exactly - I like to remove VAT and a bit of an import duty to make prices a bit more realistic for you US folks). This was where my upgrades began, and where the problems began. The X800Pro needed more power than my OEM inWin 250W PSU could provide, so I ordered an extra value Magna 600W PSU. Bad move, it wasn't powerful enough (system load was about 300W, and it couldn't cope, then I added up all the amp ratings on the side. They totalled 350W! So rather than hassle with RMA for £24, I decided to buy another PSU (another cheap one, I was poor at this time!) in the form of a Qtec 450W, which worked fine for a bit over a year. Next hurdle was heat, my CPU reached 77.5ºC and my mobo 52ºC one hot summer's day with all this high power stuff in a cramped OEM case. SO i bought this superflower case, added three extra case fans and changed to an Arctic silent2l. Unfortunately I think I messed up the paste installation, because the CPU still reaches 68ºC yet the mainboard never goes above 35. Oh well. Last October, I tried adding two more hard drives (I had two already) and then the Qtec gave way, demolishing one of my older ones, my floppy drive and the original stick of RAM (I'd added two later that survived). So that was that, one Hiper PSU and a repair bill later and I was back up and running.

Things have never been quite the same since that incident though, and at certain random points, crashes occur that tell me there's a little more than bad software going on. Hence why I'm after a new build. I would keep the X800, but I want to move up to Dual core and PCI express, so it may get sold. Who knows?

3. billybob

billybob Regular member

LOL that meant nothing to me.

They'll be a few builds til im up to your standards.
    p.s
    Whatever fihsnerd, still don't go saying that.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol OK we've finished yelling at FIHSNERD now, so let that be that. Oh there's nothing too complicated about what I wrote, but to most it would indeed mean nothing.
    If I wanted to really confused you I could mutter on about why it's good to have 1MB of L2 Cache versus 512KB, and the architectural benefits of an Athlon64 over a Pentium 4!

5. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

lol

and sorry, i used my P.M.S. excusial pass on that one.. lol

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Meh whatever, it's over now.

7. billybob

billybob Regular member

But of course you woldnt start about that sam, because merely mentioning mentioning it would confuse a rookie. LOL!

(i meant the 2 mentions)

Anyway, will that be a fast computer when i build it? With the 1gb RAM and everything?

p.s whats done is done, i cant be arsed to discuss it anymore, that wasnt the purpose of the thread

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  8. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

yeah.. not bad at least..
    good luck

9. billybob

billybob Regular member

thank you,

p.s A bit of simultaneous typing going on i think lol, should be interesting.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol yeah, know the feeling. That PC will be quite fast just as a PC, if not that fast in gaming (that is unless you get the X800GTO). You're getting some serious value for money, anyway!

11. billybob

billybob Regular member

When you say gaming, do you mean online games or games from discs?

Cause i thought games form discs work fast normally, as its downto the wuality of the game?!

I guess im wrong, lol.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nah the picture quality and frame rate are very dependant on a graphics card, it doesn't matter where a game is coming from. An X1900XT may get 60 frames per second in a game off the DVD and a 7300LE may only get 7 (a fast slideshow!). Online gaming is the difference between 60 and 90fps, not 7 and 50. GPUs are more important.

13. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

@Billybob,It appears your pretty much set,but don't forget the power supply! LOL![​IMG]

14. billybob

billybob Regular member

My dear comrades.

I have acquired the strange computer today. will post tomorrow with info. Just letting you know i havent fogotten.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Cool. Keep us posted.

16. billybob

billybob Regular member

'tis a 300watt powerpack.

Where could i get a cheapo modern looking tower case?

17. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

www.newegg.com

or a garage sale.

18. billybob

billybob Regular member

19. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

should work well.

20. billybob

billybob Regular member

Ok thanks peeps ill let ou know on the \progress.

You know monitors, are there any cheap tft screen ones?