1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hamster powered computers

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by billybob, Jun 4, 2006.

1. ShUgGz

ShUgGz Guest

nah no wuuries anytime just glad to help out

2. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Though I'd recommend a bit more expensive power supply. It will definitely cost a bit more but you won't have to face the agony of a dead PSU. This might sound like mindless drivel for this machine as it won't take much power but you might want to spend more like 15-20 pounds($33-$45) on a PSU. It's more worth it than you ever actually want to know.

...But now I just saw the Aspire X-Infinity case there. Get that and you will be fine. The PSUs in the Aspire cases are just fine, even for a mid/low end gaming rig with a mild overclock.

3. billybob

billybob Regular member

Yeh i just searched for that and it looks great. Ill buy that first, cause thats obviously what im building round.

Off topic question: Can i shut my laptop lid without it hibernating?

4. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

It's your thread so don't worry about a couple off-topic things. About the laptop. No, I don't think so. I tried with mine and got no luck.

5. shawn_nee

shawn_nee Member

Just to put my 2 cents in. For the budding computer builder you seem to be, you might want to either go to the library, or used book store (in the US I would suggest Half Priced Books) to get a few books at a low end price to further your studies. I knew a bit when I got into computers, but now 10 years later I'm still learning. I have a few books I picked up they even have cd's for a more hands on approach. Try looking into books teacing A+ certification. Most of them will give you basics from the beginning of computers till now and go really into depth into the peripherals like printers and such. Again this is all just a suggestion. Oh and as far as purchases, I know the rest here go for the mobo and cpu, but I say go for the power supply, memory first. They are the easiest to change, and most will fir your current board and processor. If you go with the motherboard, you then HAVE to buy the processor (cpu), memory, and videocard to match the new system. But if you go the other way you can spread it out a bit further. Again just my 2 cents worth.

Good Luck!!!

6. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I took an A+ certification entry course for 2 weeks this summer and I'm going to take it in my sophomore year this up coming school year. Then I'll take the official course at the local tech college when I get out of high school and then I'll start my business.

7. shawn_nee

shawn_nee Member

A+ is a good place to start, but you need to keep going. Most places that are serious in hireing someone with technical knowlegde require more. To most places A+ has really lost its value, it's easy to get and everyone has it. I run a small shop out of my house, repair, rebuil, and de-worm/virus removal. I don't charge much, and have a small clientel, but its fun and buys the newer games that are coming out.

8. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I'm gonna be more of a dealer and tech support than custom builder. That'll be an optional side service. I'm also taking advanced electronics this upcoming year and I'm going to take C++ and html programming next year. I'll stock components, cases, manuals and magazines and I've already got a couple employees lined up(my best friends) that are taking the same classes with me. It'll be like a custom builder utility shop of sorts. I'm going to call it Wisconsin Rapids PC Utility... or something like that.

Don't worry about me I've got it planned out :)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2006
  9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Cool, if only I could do the same!

10. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

sam, sam, sam! You are only able to do what you set your sights on!

If you work hard and get all the experience and schooling you can it is more than just a possibility. If you have a local technical college go for the classes. It's expensive but not nearly as bad as going to a Uni. :)

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Which is what I'm doing... :-( 20 grand of student debt coming right up! Thankfully the loan system is forgiving, if you can be bothered to spend 3 hours filling the form out...

12. billybob

billybob Regular member

Back on topic.

The money saving starts now! Its my birthday in 50 minutes and 9 days.

I should get a bit of money from that and then ill save myself too. Im getting a proloic reciever too, gonna make one big....noise machine ha!

13. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

Happy upcoming Birthday Billy!

If you want to make some big noise,you'll need some stuff like this...your neighbors will love you,mine sure do!
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2006
  14. pepsimaxx

pepsimaxx Regular member

Wow...even me reading this i have learned alot...even i need to thank sam and everyone else that has helped out good'ol billy here.

15. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Wow. I am going to be spending 8000USD for my schooling at a tech college. Are you exaggerating on 20000 pounds sterling? That's an insane amount of money for any college!

16. billybob

billybob Regular member

Yeh me too pepsi, thanks all.

17. shawn_nee

shawn_nee Member

My wif went to THE University of Texas (Hook'Em Horns!!)and walked out with a Chem degree, and $25 grand in loans. That was after all the grants and scholorships(sp?) ( I would have gone but they give many to people who can't spell very well, hehe )That was 4 years and the average for that school total cost is somewhere around $40-$50 grand. Start saving now or take the JuCo route go to a Junior colledge get the basic out of the way and finish at the Uni..

Happy Future Birthday BillyBob!!

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No joke. I have to live on campus so that includes living fees, but it's £3000/year tuition and works out the same in accommodation, add food, clothing, etc. it's debt with a capital D. Tuition fees for universities used to be only about £1000/year up until the year before I start. Now they'll be 3000. :-( I always get there at the wrong moment...

19. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Lol better sell that new rig and start saving :)

My college is just down the expressway from my neighborhood.. MidState Technical College.

20. shawn_nee

shawn_nee Member

Most student loans have a deferment period, while in school you defer the payment, Once out you can defer it for a year if you don't have a job yet, or longer depending on your restrictions.