1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Disk not found ....

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mossfan18, Jun 7, 2007.

1. mossfan18

mossfan18 Regular member

I just replaced a bad hard drive in a HP Pavilion 8755c which ran Win/ME on it. I couldn't get my ME recovery discs to work and now I can't get the PC to recognize the HD I just installed.

The PC would come up with a message saying "operating system not found" after the install. Since the HD I installed was blank I thought nothing of it. However once I looked in the BIOS it had my OS listed as 98/2000 instead of the ME which it clearly is. It had an option to change the OS to 95, 98 or 2K but no ME option so I selected other.

Now that the recovery discs are working I get a message saying "Error : hard disk not found. It could be loose cables or not intialized" and it gives an option to "run an FDisk program to intialize disk. "

I don't know what to do! I know the HD is installed correctly as it is listed on the BIOS as the Secondary master and my CD-r is the Primary master.

Do you see any problems or solutions?

2. ireland

ireland Active member

3. mossfan18

mossfan18 Regular member

Thanks, That guide is awesome! That guide does apply to a WD Hard drive as well I assume?

I got one more question before taking the PC apart. I have a CD-R and a DVD-R and 1 HD on the PC, do I follow these settngs given by HP:

Settings for 1 Hard drive and 2 CD/DVD drives:

Set the hard disk jumper as Cable Select or Single. Connect the drive using the Master connector on the primary IDE cable.

Set the first CD/DVD drive jumper to Master (alternatively, Cable Select can be used if you set the 2nd CD/DVD drive selection to Cable Select). Connect the drive using the Master connector on the secondary IDE cable.

Set the second CD/DVD drive jumper to Slave (use Cable Select if Cable Select was used on the 1st CD/DVD drive). Connect the drive using the Slave connector on the secondary IDE cable.

Are those right or do I just do exactly as the guide you gave showed and set the jumper as master.

4. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

What you posted is the correct way of setting up your cd/dvd drives.
    hdd on the primary. cd/dvd drives on secondary. I recommend setting up your dvd burner as the master and the cd as slave. Burners sometimes act funny when set to slave and your dvd burner will read all your formats in case you run into this issue.

5. mossfan18

mossfan18 Regular member

Alright, I have the HD installed but still have a problem!

1 easy question: Can the HD be set to secondary master? Yes or No

If it cannot then how do I set it to Primary as

Primary Master : CD-R
    Primary Save: DVD-R
    Secondary Master : WD Hard Drive

That is the exact format as seen in the BIOS screen

What should I do now?

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

switch around the cables on the motherboard so that the hd is primary & the rom drives are secondary.

7. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

moss,
    swap your cable around like ddp said when you boot again go into your bios setup and you will see it change in the bios.

To answer your question yes you can BUT you want your boot drive on the primary channel.