1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hard drive backups on DVD?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by madone, Sep 15, 2004.

1. madone

madone Member

This may be a complete noob question, but can you back up your hard drive to a DVD like you would on a CD? I did some searching on the site and web and everything seems to only talk about making movies or movie backups.

I have DVD X Copy Xpress which I know is very problematic although I have not had any issues with it, however it does not have a component to make a data DVD. It looks like it has an option for this but only tells you to go to 321studios to download it which of course does not exist anymore.

Any help in this arena would be great! I am not looking for anything special, just a way to backup my important files off my hard drive since a CD simply is not large enough. Thanks in advance.

2. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

madone,
    Use can use most DVD burning programs to make a backup of the files you want to backup. All of my file are in My Documents and I just copy them to a DVD using Nero. You can even use their Backup to a DVD selection if you desire. I presume the other programs can do the same

3. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Nero does come with a special function called "back up hard drive", although I have not used it before. Why not try it and tell us your experience?
    Before I forget, Nero also has a function called 'make data disc'. So this probably is your lucky day. *_*

4. madone

madone Member

Well the problem here is that DVD X Copy Xpress has a blacklist of programs that can't be installed on the same computer as they 'interfere' with it, Nero is one of these, plus I do not own a copy of Nero. Any other suggestions?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  5. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

That figures. *_*

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

What type of burning software do you have, if any?

7. Gnomex

Gnomex Regular member

Madonem

You can use Nero Ultra 6 with DVD X-Copy. This is in package 1 on most download sites. However, DVD X-Copy will not function correctly with Nero Ink (packet writing software). Nero Ink is part of the complete set of Nero Ultra Tools. An application that does not need to be installed.
    Second, See if you have a copy of Norton Ghost. This software can be used to make a complete image of your hard drive. This image can be written on one or more DVD's. Ghost is a DOS based application. You can create the Ghost boot disk using the Ghost boot disk wizard. Ghost is normally part of Norton (Symantec) System Works.