1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Drive copying

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by axo1usa, May 11, 2004.

1. axo1usa

axo1usa Member

Any info on copying files off of one hard drive onto another using a single computer? Can I hook 2 hard drives together and boot from one but just access files from the other for copying? Do I need special software?Thanks.

2. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi axo1usa
    Are the files you wish to copy data, programs or operating system. If its just data - movies - music then you can install the O/S on the boot drive and access the data from the other drive
    I hope this helps

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Yeah that would work indeed however if you expect to copy something, say, like a game/program that has been installed on one drive to the other and then use it when booting from the other, that prolly wont work because of registry requirements :)

4. Xian

Xian Regular member

If you are wanting to copy the entire drive you can use something like Norton Ghost as long as the second hard drive has equal or larger capacity than the source. I did that for a friend that had bought a larger drive and wanted to move all of his programs to it and boot from it afterwards.

5. axo1usa

axo1usa Member

Hi Guts. Thanks a bunch. Just data.I'll give it a go.
    By the way, if you were on the "display crash" thread,
    I solved the prob. over the phone w/ ATI techs.Seems it's definitely the warranteed card.Got to send it back to them.Don't recommend an ATI radeon 8500dv.Have had 2 many probs.

6. axo1usa

axo1usa Member

OK Preator and u other puter wizzi, hooked up a double hard drive line and plugged in my ol' West Dig. 6 gig.
    I put this drive aside because it had some startup issues that I couldn't surpass.however, there are still some valuable pics and music on it.But on boot, I get the message " Disc Controller Failure", press F1 to boot.When I boot it just recognizes my primary hard drive.And it's been unstable while the 2 are hooked together.Should I just forget it, and reformat the disc?Listening.

7. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi axo1usa
    Did you set one hard drive as master and the other as slave. In Bios did you set the hard drives settings as auto
    Hope this helps

8. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Disc controller failure is a fairly serious error.... save what you can and get out! :)

9. axo1usa

axo1usa Member

Wise comments. I was thinking I should change the bios, but wasn't sure. I'll give that a stab.I really don't think I've got much more to lose than the data.
    Thanks,I'll let u know.

10. axo1usa

axo1usa Member

Hey Preator, Mr.X and guys. Tried to get into the Bios of an old P2, I had lying around to complete the task.Each time it wouldn't let me.It also started to lose some of it's hardware comm. Had to reload. So forget it, at least on this system.I'll wait until I can get my P4 up and running w/ a new display card.
    Thanks.