1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Drive Files To DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by chinman, Oct 21, 2003.

1. chinman

chinman Guest

Hello, could anybody tell me how to burn a DVD from a movie file i have on my Hard drive so it can be played in any home DVD player.

Thanks

2. magnetic

magnetic Regular member

can you expand on what type of movie file you have?

DVD's generally have a few files, unless it's an image file and then it would be one file.

Give file extensions??

3. chinman

chinman Guest

Hi thanks for the quick reply, all that i can tell you is that some are AVI files some say just a video clip and plays though windows media player 9. hope this helps you, the files are ones that i have down loaded from the net, and i just wanted to play them on my home DVD.

Thanks

4. magnetic

magnetic Regular member

5. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

Just download a program called GSpot with which you can find out the type of your file so that you can know what you are looking for. (ex how to convert DivX to VOB)

Also make a search at the guides database at www.dvdrhelp.com

6. DragnFist

DragnFist Member

I'm new to this too Chinman, but have been doing lots of reading... http://www.lordsmurf.com is excellent.

The Gspot suggestion was a good one. You'll need to convert each AVI or MPEG clip to MPEG2 if you want to burn them to CD. To be compliant with most DVD players you'll want to end up with 352X480 or 720X480 or 704X480 video, with constant bitrate (CMR) or variable bitrate (VBR) PCM, AC3 or MPEG2 audio. You Some programs can help you do that, but likely some of them you'll have to do yourself. One of the most popular options to convert files to these formats is TMPGEnc (free version exists but only writes MPEG2 for 30 days then expires until you purchase).

You'll also need something to author the DVD (create the menus to access the videos and write everything in 'DVD' format (VIDEO_TS directory, .VOB files, etc). Check into DVD lab if you want lots of options, otherwise TMG DVD Author seems simpler if you're OK from picking from 'themes'.

Good luck!

7. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Don't forget also that AVI can usually be burnt directly to a CD by dragging into nero for example which can then play as a VCD on your DVD player. It's probably best to convert the file though if you want to improve the image quality.