1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Drive Help!!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by MuckMan, Sep 28, 2004.

1. MuckMan

MuckMan Member

I have a 250GB Western Digital Hard Drive that came with a controller card. I got it at christmas and everything installed just fine. Then last night when I booted the computer up it said that no drives were attached to the controller card. Since I had just reinstalled windows on the drive, I figured that I needed to reinstall the drivers. I turned the computer off and opened the case. I disconnected the drive cable from the controller card and connected it to the motherboard, closed the case, and booted the computer up again. This time windows booted just fine. I went to device manager and found the controller card. The drivers were already intalled. Anyway I uninstalled the device and then windows asked me to reboot so I did. Upon reboot everything was fine and then I went back into device manager and noticed that the device had been reinstalled. I hoped that the problem was fixed and shut the computer down. I opened the case, reconnected the drive to the controller card, and booted up again. Once again I received a message that no drives were installed.

I can't figure out what the problem is. I don't think its the wire because I can access the drive if it is connected to the motherboard and if I go into device manager it says that the controller card is working fine. Can somebody please help me?

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

That drive need to be activated -- New drive from the manufacturer are to be made available for reading by the O/S. Read the instructions that came with the drive. Activation is a process that you can do yourself.

3. jadsru1

jadsru1 Member

Hi
    I am having a problem, major problem and I need some advice. BTW, I am not sure if this is the correct forum for my concern. If it isn't please steer my in the right direction.
    The HD on one of my desktops doen't boot up. I tried everything from recovery console, dell tech support but nothing works. It's a P4 with win 2K installed. The advice I got from dell tech is to use this drive as a slave with another computer so that I can recover the files on that drives. Any suggestions with HD recovery using another computer or MS-DOS will be greatly appreciated.

THanks

4. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

jadsru1 !!

You should have started a NEW Thread --- what you just done is hijacked the problem thread of MuckMan . It could get confusing !! Smiles.

As for your problem , you say ""The HD on one of my desktops "" -- then you have more then one -- did you try moving that HD to another one of your desktops ?

When you say ""doen't boot up"" -- this means you have an O/S on it ??

Best you state your problem clearly , as best you can -- so people can help, if they can.

Things like what O/S you using , is the drive a second one on your PC , is it a slave or a Master .. so on..the more you give, the more you may get accurate help.

5. MuckMan

MuckMan Member

The thing is that the drive was working fine for about 8 months and still works just as long as its not plugged into the controller card. I'm not sure what activating the drive would do.

6. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Misunderstood the description of your problems !! -- If it was working before, you can forget about activating !

7. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey! If the 250gb drive functions when connected to the pri or sec controller then the problem most likekly isn't the drive. Since your using an IDE adapter for the 250gb drive,I would assume you have both the primary and secondary IDE channels full to capacity--four devices. If you are running XP w/SP1 you may not need the card to use the total 250gb.If you need to use the card I believe the drivers have to be installed 'before' you install the drive.
    Good luck!