1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HARD DRIVE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by core2kid, Nov 23, 2007.

1. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

I had a WD 250GB hard drive in my Dell XPS which I am switching over to my custom built PC. When I plug in the hard drive in my custom built PC, the drive does not spin up but, if I plug it in without the SATA cable, the drive does spin up. If I try another drive in my custom built by connecting it in the same slot with the same cables, it does spin up. If I move the drive back to the XPS, it does spin up. Whats wrong? Is my drive dead? If it would help, the circuit board does look a bit brown in some areas.
    [​IMG]

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That PCB does look a bit suspicious. I'd probably backup the data using the XPS and then replace it. I have a pair of 250GB WD SATA drives, so I'll see if there are any noticeable brown areas on mine.

3. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

I don't need the data on it, I was going to use it for storage on the custom built. I desperately need more storage on my custom built because a 200GB ATA hard drive from that is going in my Xbox.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm going to assume that's an original xbox? Love to see someone try to fit a 3.5" drive in a 360... :) (Well, that and it not get incinerated)
    If you have issues with the drive, just use an RMA to Western Digital. You'll get a new one right away, and then you can send the old one back after.

5. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

The hard drive is actually from the Dell XPS so I'll just RMA it to Dell. Since I always get a US guy on the phone, RMA-ing the drive will be a lot easier with Dell. My warranty with them assures me with next day delivery. By the way, was the PCB on your hard drive looking the same as mine, brown?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

that looks like heat or water damage on the contacts of con1.

7. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Its defiantly not water damage, this has gone nowhere near water, so it must be heat damage. It doesn't really matter anymore, I called Dell and they are sending me a new drive. I would just like to know how this could have happened. Is this common in hard drives?

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

no it isn't. rub your finger nail on the contacts of con1 to see if anything comes off as in a fine powder.

9. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

It doesn't come off as a fine powder, it doesn't come off at all.