1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hard drive not detected

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by DarkGrif, Jan 29, 2006.

1. DarkGrif

DarkGrif Guest

i got a brand new sata hdd i know that it work cause i see it in windows

pc specification are p4 asus board p5gd1-vm with intel 3.0 ghz with ht tech 1 gig of drr ram in dual, graphic card in pc-express radeon x600

i got 2 hhd 1 for windows and the other 1 for linux but it doesn't detect 1
    so i can't install Linux..

sata are plug in 1st primary master (win) secondary master (linux)
    i don't think the way i plugged em really change sumthing cause it doesn't detect it

1st sata is a westurn digital 160 gig second is a maxtor 200 gig

i got Linux debian lastest version (the net install 1)

i already installed once linux on my machine (but was with only with the 160 gig and with only linux on it. it was Mandrake btw but even if i try to install mandrake same thing happen...
    cause i want to keep windows to play game i bought a new hdd just for linux (this way i won't lose anything if i do my partitioning incorectly or if the drive is now fusk up with the booting sequence)

so if any1 could help me out

2. DOUGHBOY6

DOUGHBOY6 Guest

k i don't know if this may work but i have a suggestions...try formating your hard drive
    start>Run>cmd>format D:
    (you do this one windows)
    i herd about this so it may not work. ok

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2006
  3. DarkGrif

DarkGrif Guest

nope already done that it doesn't work..

but i can remove my win drive and just put the other as first and only hdd

i'm trying a lot of thing right now i'll try to format my second hdd in ext3 swap etc.. ready for linux ;)
    just put 1 of my drive the 1 i want linux
    if this doesn't work i'll try to format it in fat 32.. this is really deseperate since how much space i got on it but maybe.. we never know

4. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

you dont need to format the drive you need to get the linux sata driver for your system so that linux can see it. windows sees the drive because you have the windows driver. besides linux uses EXT 2 and other such file formats to install to and not FAT32 (although it can see fat 32 drives)

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

the driver should be there somewhere

5. DarkGrif

DarkGrif Guest

hum ok...

but how i install this driver linux isn't installed...
    i search everywhere on the net about this i found nothing

btw if this can help it's a maxtor SATA 200 gig model 6l2000m0

but my bios detect the hard drive and windows xp too so linux should detect it

under win my drive works perfectly.

6. rundata

rundata Guest

hmm.. why not install windows on it and use linux on the old one?

7. DarkGrif

DarkGrif Guest

cause i dont want to format it again for nothing linux doesn't even see the 1st 1 anyway..

looks like using mandrake works so cause now it work and i got already Linux on it i'll try to install debian now

i'm sure this will work
    i just wanted to find an other than installing 2 distro of Linux

8. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

windows and your bios can see the sata drive because

a) windows has the SATA driver (probably installed with your mobos drivers)
    b) you motherboard obvioulsly has the SATA controller and if it wasnt seen in the bios it wouldnt be seen anywhere

windows asks you to press f6 to install additional SATA drivers during the setup process, im not sure if linux offers this same ability to install drivers during setup.

heres a thought for 1 possible solution though.

install windows XP to your SATA drive, copy all your stuff over from the IDE drive onto the SATA drive when setup is complete. then setup linux on the IDE drive.

i know its not exactly an ideal solution but it will work.

plus im guessing youd probably be doing most of your downloading and such from within windows rather than linux so its probably better for windows to have the larger drive.

9. DarkGrif

DarkGrif Guest

Finally i got it!!!!

now i can run Linux and win on my 2 different drive
    i just replugged my drive (swicht them) now linux boot fist so LILO boot first too and win is my second drive

and now it work

10. sahme1

sahme1 Member

Hello,

First of all I am just brand new in Linux world. Trying to install the SUSE Linux Server 9.0 in my machine that has Maxtor 160 GB SATA hard drive. At installation the Yast cannot find the hard drive. Talked to Novell and they made me to download the ISO files three CDs for EM64T machine. When I tried to boot up from the 1st downloaded CD, my machine can not even recognize the CD - nothing happens. By reading your comments, I may need Maxtor SATA driver software for Linux Server. Trying to find it from different site and but getting no clue. When I requested Novell support, they are asking that to get support for installation on SATA Hard drive, I have to enroll in one of their support program... $600 per case basis.... sounds really annoying to me......

So if you can give me some direction, it will be really helpfu. My machine is a new Dell XPS 400 system with 1GB of memory, SATA 160 GB hard drive, and intel pentium dual core CPU 3.0 Ghz. system.

11. g3nti

g3nti Member

The problem is not the hard drive itself. It is the hard drive controller, you need the drivers for that one. I am having the same problem with debian. So far I did not like the solutions. Look for a non-official installer with sata support build in.