1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hard drive problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Dave30332, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Dave30332

Dave30332 Member

I have a new western digital external hard drive connected to the computer through fire wire to the external case and just recently it has started making loud, annoying noises. I haven't had any problems with it, it's just a really loud buzzing sound. Maybe it's the fan in the external casing? I don't know. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

2. kal

kal Member

is it a buzzing humming(load fan) or a clicking.if its clicking its dieing.had a internal drive start doing that while it was reading info just keep getting worse
    and it was a 100 gig drive too lost of info to recover think I got most out though.

3. kal

kal Member

also if its still under warrenty send it in.now most good western digitals have three year warrenties from the date of manufacturing or from the date of sale if you sent in the warrenty slip with date of purchase
    I know the carv line is three years not sure on externals.

4. Dave30332

Dave30332 Member

The sound really isn't a clicking, it's more of a loud buzzing/humming sound which is why i think it's more the fan in the external casing. i bought it off ebay a month or two ago and so i'm thinking about just buying a new case for it.