1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hard drive problems

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by wc9307, Apr 10, 2005.

1. wc9307

wc9307 Guest

recently my pc has crashed out and will not boot up but i cant just restore my hd because i have important files on my hd which i need for college.

i plugged the hd in my other pc and it says hd unaccessible i also tryed to use the repair on windows xp cd but it says hd is either full or somehting else so it cannot repair it.

Is there any other way that i can retrieve this data

thx guys

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

on other pc, was the drive as master or slave?? can the drive be seen both by the bios & windows of the pc??

Last edited: Apr 10, 2005
  3. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Get another HDD and do a fresh install of windows xp and once done, Place your original HDD as a slave on the same ribbon cable and see if your bios recognizes it. If it does, then you can copy over the files you want to the new HDD.

or

Make a boot CD or floppy for XP from a friends PC or your original CD and once in, do a dos command of "c:\" then "enter" and see if you can access your HD. If you can, try another dos command at the c:] prompt of "dir" then "enter" and see if it shows folders on the HD. If you can do that, then a good chance you can recover your files to another HD.

4. wc9307

wc9307 Guest

cheers for the help guys i will give it a go tomorrow when i get my new hard drive. thx

5. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

WC, pray that it wasn't a "head crash"!! Good suggestions by DDP and Scuba; hey, in order to prevent this issue in the future backup those important files at least once a week!! I use Acronis True Image 8.0 and Norton Ghost; they will save you bigtime in the future when this happens again!! Good luck, keep us posted.

ps: What class are you taking??

6. wc9307

wc9307 Guest

Right when i plug the hard drive into the other pc it says hard drive unaccessible, access denied. I have tryed a microsoft fix from the website where you replce the windows registry but it says the same thing access denied.

Do you no of any other way that i can fix the problem or just retrieve my files? thx

im takin avce ict

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member