1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hard drive recovery

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by neil0337, Jun 2, 2006.

1. neil0337

neil0337 Regular member

not sure if this is the right place to post but i need help to recover my hard drive.does anyone know of a program that would bring files back.my hard drive just crash and i have alot of important files in there.please help...

2. TomMelee

TomMelee Regular member

If you have another working computer...

Just plug in the crashed drive as the slave drive on that system. You should be able to see all the files on it and get them off just fine.

Alternatively, you can download UBUNTU, MEPIS, or LINSPIRE (the "live" cd) and stick it in the dead computer and boot to it. It boots to ram...then you can see all your files and burn 'em with the built in burning software.

3. neil0337

neil0337 Regular member

i notice that those are actually an os isnt it?
    if i do that than the os might overwrite my files.that hdd is my secondary drive.how do i transfer it to another drive?

4. sohail91

sohail91 Member

nah it wont overwrite it you just plug it in -> set to slave -> My computer -> access the drive and you will see all of your files there. even if an OS is installed on that hard drive. just make sure that you set it as slave.

5. TomMelee

TomMelee Regular member

What he said.

Also, I said download the LIVE discs, which don't install anything unless you tell them to...they load to RAM.

6. neil0337

neil0337 Regular member

the problem that i didnt mention was that this was my secondary hdd.before it crash it went into that scandisk mode and i didn let it finish.so than when i reboot the second time,windows explorer didnt recognize it.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  7. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

TomMelee is right if you set the drive as a slave and plug it into another computer you should be able to access everything.

8. RunnerBoi

RunnerBoi Member

I also have this same problem... I losed my hard drive cuz i dropped my computer so I have bought a new hard drive. So if I hookup my old hard drive to the computer w/ my new hard drive how do i setup the old hard drive to "slave drive"... will i be able to recover my files w/ my situation?

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

change the old hd jumper to slave or disable your rom drive(s) by using the old hd in their place.

10. RunnerBoi

RunnerBoi Member

alrite...i set my old hard drive to slave and it worked...i was able to access all the files. even all my pictures that i thought i losed....I luv this website!

11. ddp

teach & learn

12. neil0337

neil0337 Regular member

i think my harddrive really crashed.ive set it to slave and windows explorer still couldnt recognize it and its telling me to format it.ive found this program that recovers everything from mp3,wma,jpg,avi etc.
    this is the site if anyone have this kind of problems http://www.ontrack.com/
    thanks to all Afterdawn members for helping out.

13. ddp

i actually have their professional program which i used a # of times on customers' computers

Last edited: Jun 12, 2006