1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Drive Space? Is This The Hangup??

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by plywood9, Nov 14, 2004.

1. plywood9

plywood9 Guest

yes i have a HP CPU with ...Intel Celetron Prossesor 1.2HGZ, 256MB SDRAM,40GB Ultraharddrive, Intel Direct AGP3G Graphics Card.. if i save the ISO file after shrinking.i get errors stating the file is to large for the recycle bin it works but if i don't delete the file after writing prosses it says i need to defrag aswell. do i need to get a External Hard drive?
    i aslo have a program called(SONIC ArcSoft ShowBiz DVD2(that is 481MG in Size) do i need to get rid of this program also? thanks again ahead of time.............

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi again Plywood9,

The important thing is How much free space do you have on your HD ?

You should have 7 to 10 GB to do DVD backups, anything less, you could "Crash" your PC. As for me, I put a 200GB HD external drive in to take the "load". Those are your options -

As for your recycle bin, usually you have a set limit so that if too much info get's taken to your HD you'll have a last chance to stop it. When you delete a DVD, just click "yes to all" to send your DVD files to your recycle bin.

Cheers,

Pete

Pete

3. plywood9

plywood9 Guest

ok uncle pete. how do i find out how much space i have on my hard drive?. i had in dvddecypter the box marked DELETE IMAGE AFTER BURN that works fine. i tried to do this with out the box checked it wasn't to great.

4. plywood9

plywood9 Guest

hey pete also.........i went to disk defragment and analyzed it, it says this>>>>>>>>>>>
    Filesystem(NTFS) Capacity(32.96GB) Free Space(20.53gb)
    and %of free space(62%) just shooting this imformation at you aswell. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Well that answered your first question, didn't it ?

After defragmentor anaylsised your drive it should tell you if you should defrag your drive or not -

Check it out -

Pete

6. plywood9

plywood9 Guest

thanks uncle pete.......well that should do it i guess. i guess i really don't need a external hard drive.guess that would make the computer better in the long run..... i guess i'll remove some of these programs i don't ever use. well by the way besides the hd deal, just wanted you to know that shrink/decyter is working great it's not bad after a few times. thanks to you and all the guys this is a great place to be

7. regor

regor Regular member

Hi ya All - One thing NOT mentioned, or at least I didn't see it mentioned, was the negative impact/importance of fragmentation. Free space is one thing, a highly fragmented HDD is another. You should defragment your HDD even if you have ample free space. Writing VOBS to a highly fragmented drive is NOT a good thing.

Anxious to debate if you don't agree.

R

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

What for ?

You're 2,000% right - Burn on . . . . . . .

9. plywood9

plywood9 Guest

hello, regor. i'm new explain to me...........

10. plywood9

plywood9 Guest

hello UNCLEPETE!!!!!!!!

11. plywood9

plywood9 Guest

Hey PETE I new you were out there"WATCHING ME"

12. regor

regor Regular member

Hi there plywood9 -

I can get as technical on this as you'd like but in simple terms you want to have contiguous space available on your computer harddrive when writing files - in the case of DVD ripping, VOBS.

When a harddrive has been in use for a while, and you write files to, and delete files from the harddrive, it often means that space that was contiguous (or whole) becomes fragmented, meaning it gets chopped up into smaller pieces. When you then try to write something to the harddrive it means that the computer has to chop up the file that you want to write into smaller bits to be able to write to those fragmented areas on the harddrive - so in essence you have to split up the file into smaller bits in order to write them to the areas on the harddrive that have become broken up. That is inefficient and it greatly impacts performance because the heads on the harddrive (the electronics that read and write the data) has to search for the next area on the harddrive where the next piece of the data or file, having been fragmented or broken up, has been written.

WHEW that's hard to explain.

When you rip a DVD it is best to have a big chunk of contiguous space available on your harddrive so when it is written it does not get fragmented, in other words the whole file is written to the harddrive without being broken up into smaller chunks/pieces.

There are system utilites that you use (or you should be using them!!!) to delete uneccessary files and free up as much space as possible, then you can defragment the harddrive to re-write fragmented files and open up as much available harddrive space into a larger area. New files can then be written to that area without being broken up into smaller pieces.

I hope this has helped. R

Carpe Nocturn :)

R

13. regor

regor Regular member

And no ScubaPete, Carpe Nocturn doesn't mean "fish at night"

hahahahahaha, I'm on a roll now baby!

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

plywood9,

regor did a fairly decent job of explaining about fragmented areas in your HD.

Let me elucidate -

A fragmented HD = *Bad :(

Running defrag daily = *Very good :)

* Bad = Problems up the wazooo ;C(

*Very Good = Wazoo empty and happy :D)

I truly hope I didn't lose you with all that technical jargon

Cheers,

Pete

ScubaPete most unhappy ;c(

15. plywood9

plywood9 Guest

ok uncle pete. don't get it but anyway.....i defrag when the computer tells me i should do so. should i defrag on a daily basis. or just when i do a lot of dvd's? thanks again>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

16. plywood9

plywood9 Guest

I Looked At Some External hard drives such as SEAGATE. Seems Simple Plug In The USB And Go.?

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

First off, go to Control Panel then Scheduled Tasks - Let that proggy do your defragmenting daily at night. I have 3 HD's and allot 3 hours every night to each drive to defrag. It's something you cannot do too often.

About another HD. One of my 200GB HD's is hooked up to a 2.0 USB port. It's "Plug n' Play", your PC will detect it and take care of everything - life is sweet :D)

Carry on, youse a'doin' good -

Pete

18. plywood9

plywood9 Guest

thanks "PETE"

19. plywood9

plywood9 Guest

yes working on above imformation.....my lastest wonder/or problem is i use DVDShrink and DVDDecrytor, when i burn the image to My Destop folder (even if i check the box in Decrytor that says delete ISO image after burn) it deletes it from my desk top DVD folder(ALL MY DVD WORK) but i actually find it still in C; for some reason, ????????????????

20. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

It shouldn't be - re-check your settings in Backup -

Worst case, delete by hand every 2 or 3 films BUT re-check a settings first -

Are you ripping your DVD with DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink ?