1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Drive Swap & Service Code 13

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by MLCY, Oct 26, 2003.

1. MLCY

MLCY Member

Ok, so I was wrong earlier, I thought I could get the hard drive swapped without any issues. :)

I went out today and purchased a Maxtor 120GB hard drive to replace my OEM hard drive. I am using the Slayer's Auto Installer DVD version 2.5 on a Xbox v1.0 with a Matrix Mod Chip installed using the Evox D6 Blue BIOS. When I connect the new hard drive to my Xbox, I get a service code 13 and it stops there. I have tried re-booting the Xbox several times, but get the same code each time. If I re-connect the OEM hard drive, it boots normally.

The Maxtor hard drive that I purchased has the following specs:

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus
    Buffer Size: 8MB
    Average Seek Time: <9.3ms
    External Transfer Rate: Up to 133 MBytes/sec (Ultra ATA/133)
    Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM

Kit: L01P120

The only thing that I can think of is that the Xbox is having problems because the hard drive supports speeds up to ATA/133. From my understanding, the hard drive is backward capatible to ATA/100.

Thoughts?

Greg

2. Spine

Spine Member

You have to lock the hard drive for it to work.

3. MLCY

MLCY Member

Ok, I have been searching the forum trying to find a way that I could lock the hard drive outside of the Xbox, but I cant locate anythings.

In addition, I was under the impression that I would not need to lock the hard drive in order to use Slayer's auto installer. That the auto installer would lock the hard drive as a part of the process.

Greg

4. Spine

Spine Member

Hmmm maybe, havent used Slayers. Not sure bout Maxtor hard drives either. I know that WD and Seagate work.

5. MLCY

MLCY Member

Ok, so it is working now. I really didnt do anything different than the previous times except reboot the xbox a few times. It worked like a champ.

Thanks for all your help

Greg