1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Drive Video Playback

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by VanderB, Jun 26, 2010.

1. VanderB

VanderB Member

Ok I've been searching hi and lo for this info with no luck.

All I'm finding here are old posts about old tech on this issue. Maybe this is in here somewhere but just buried in other posts.

Here's what I'm trying to do....
    I got backup'd movies on hard drives. I used to have a seperate PC linked to my computer for playing movies back but this tech has failed. I want to be able to play these videos on my HD tv and also on an old style tv. There are devices you can buy these days, including hard drives with remotes, that link directly into a tv.

There seem to be better devices for my purpose, since I have pleanty of external hard drives, like this one: that is more along the lines of what I need and of course much cheaper than the prior. Just a simple interface with a remote avoiding the need for a PC/Xbox ect. I can just plug in my external HD thru usb with movies on it and go to town. Provided of course they are in the formats supported. Which this one does all except .mkv that I can see.

So I wondered if anyone here used one of these or had a link to a review of like the top 10 of this type. I can't find much information, seems tough to get the right keywords to pull this tech up.

This seems like the tech to elimiate so much other hassle setting up media centers etc. And the price has gotten just awesome it looks like.

So thanks for any good feedback I love this site and come often to learn about media tech solutions.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  2. VanderB

VanderB Member

No one has any experience testing/using one of these types of devices?