1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hard drives above 130 gig on win xp

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by roaper, Feb 1, 2005.

1. roaper

roaper Member

i just bough a 160 gig hd maxtor 7200rpm ultra prefomance ATA 133 but xp only found and formatted about 130gig is there any thing I can do? to get hte other 30 gig to show up?

2. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

Im in the same boat I just bought the same drive and only 130 gb is available to me? Any way to fix this. I understand that someone said to Install the hotfix which I did and I still only have 130gb showing. HOW DO WE FIX THIS??????

3. smcdonald

smcdonald Member

Well, you need 48-bit LBA hdd support, I'm pretty sure that SP1 covered this. Assuming this was a fresh install of WinXP w/o SP1 you absolutely HAVE to at least install SP1 and then use Administrative tools to revive that remainder of your hdd.

4. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

You have to update you BIOS. Old BIOS will limit the HD size to 137 gigs. See you system documentation or website to find out about your particular BIOS update procedure.

5. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

This happened to me too i found help on the microsoft site

Last edited: Feb 1, 2005
  6. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

Last edited: Feb 1, 2005
  7. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

Ok I have all the windows XP updates and service packs and I flashed my BIOS to support drives larger than 130gb but I already had Windows XP installed so how do I go about getting Windows XP to recongnize that I updated and get the rest of my HD. The guy above said something about ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS SO HOW DO I DO IT?

8. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

Ok SORRY DIDNT SEE YOUR SEAGATE LINK well I went there and it said something about finding a SYSPREP file and I cant find one and I tryed searching and couldnt find any support on it, So where is the Sysprep file so I can get this done?

9. roaper

roaper Member

he he I don't know that's why I asked it does show up as 160gb when I go in bios but win xp did 130gb on format I'm running a new moboard asus A7V400-MX
    AMD 2500+ barton 512 ram the soyo board I bought back in june of 2004 sucked lost the lan first then when my three and a half year old western dig 20gig hd died I got the maxtor and the soyo lost another onboard feature the sound pulled the jp to reset the bios got the lan back but no sound he he figured how long would it be before it went again soyo sucks

10. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

Well I went to maxtors site and they have a program that automatically enables LGA 48 whatever and its enabled now but XP still doesnt show it as 160GB.

11. roaper

roaper Member

I went to computer mangement and now have 2 drives c, and F I wanted the whole 160gb on C; if possible but if this is way I have to get it so be it man

12. roaper

roaper Member

the bios was installed on this board 11/2004 phoenix 1106 I think and the bios shows 160gb

13. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

HELL YEAH I DID IT I HOPE THIS INFORMATION WILL HELP YOU AS WELL!

Ok well first off you need PARTITION MAGIC 8.0 which I [REMOVED]. Anyways I installed it ran partition magic and it said there was 25,000MB unallocated. Which my setup is currently C:80GB, D:50GB and H: 25GB = A TOTAL OF 160GB I already had a C and a D drive but I Partition Magic let me use the unallocated space to make a third drive so that way I get my full capacity. I hope you get partiotn magic so you can fix your problem as well. Well anyways Im off now to go back into Partiont Magic and MERGE MY D and my new H drive together. HOPE YOU GET YOURS WORKING RIGHT CAUSE ITS A PAIN IN THE @ss to waste money on HD space you cant even use.Let me know if you have any problems or find a different way to fix it but Partition Magic worked really nice.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2005
  14. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

@CKY_2084 you may want to edit your post so you don't say how you (illegally!) got Partition Magic. This can get you banned if you don't change it.

15. roaper

roaper Member

why would any one say where they got a download that's not shareware without paying for it duh

16. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

Because the rules changed and you can say that now!

17. roaper

roaper Member

I personally would not admit to doing that even if the courts said it was ok to share technology that is still in the court system being resolved and if the software folks win, and I hope they do they will go after every sight on the net and sue or prosecute but that is your choice not mine

18. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

How interesting. So what are you going to tell me when I tell you to knock it off talking about getting pirated software?

19. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

lol, thanks Nephilim for stepping in, i was just about to PM a Mod to get attention to this place, lol.

20. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Pop_Smith, beat you as that is why he showed up