1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Drives

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Hotivonn, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Hotivonn

Hotivonn Member

I have a two part question.

#1. What is the difference between an IDE controller or an SATA controller. I just got a newer computer and when i opened it up I found that the controller for the hard drive is only about half an inch thick. Wheras my older one is about 2 inches thick. Now i'm gonna assume that the IDE controller is the thicker one and the SATA is the other one.

#2. I wanted to put an older hard drive into my new computer as a slave but the controllers are different. The new one is the SATA and the one i'd like to put in is IDE (i'm guessing could be wrong though) is there anything out there to convert the IDE to SATA?

If this question doesn't make any sense I apologize...........i'm trying. Give me a hand here hehe

2. skidme

skidme Guest

When you say controller, I assume you mean the jack itself, into which the cable is plugged. No real difference between them, except that the width of the SATA is much smaller than the IDE (as you noted).

I assume this new motherboard only has SATA. To connect an IDE drive you will need something like this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812156011

Hope this helps.

3. Hotivonn

Hotivonn Member

well thank you very much......................i'm done so you guys can close this thread

It helped a great deal