1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardcode Subs into dvd movie(vob)?

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by etc1337, Jan 31, 2011.

1. etc1337

etc1337 Member

Hi can any one tell me how to hardcode subtitles into a dvd format video(video_ts) vob?

2. attar

attar Senior member

Hardcoding involves recoding which means a loss of quality

If the subs are a separate file, you can use XviD4PSP to add them to the movie.
    The program will output the video as an MPEG file, that will have to be reauthored back to DVD format using the likes of DVD Flick.

Does the DVD presently have subtitles and if so why not just make them 'forced' so that they are always on.
    It involves no recoding and takes little time.

3. etc1337

etc1337 Member

Thanks for the reply attar,

Yes the dvd does have subtitles already. I made the dvd with one subtitle stream and no menu in a feeble attempt at getting the subs to load automatically.

It would be great if you could tell me how to force the subs on. The reason why I need to do this is because I am watching my movies on a tv/dvd combo without a remote so have no way of browsing the menus.

Thanks

4. attar

attar Senior member

There are a number of ways to do this and they all assume that your standalone player has been setup to display subtitles.

One way is to use DVD Shrink to set a subtitle stream to default to 'on' automatically as soon as the movie starts.
    Note that is isn't the same as 'Forced' subtitles which normally display only when the 'Klingons' are speaking and cannot be turned of.

Run DVD Shrink
    Click 'Open Files' to load the VIDEO_TS folder.
    Click 'Re-author'.
    Drag 'Title 1' from right to left pane.
    Right click on 'Title 1' in the left pane.
    'Set default streams'.
    Subpicture: 'Display the following subpicture streams:' (select your subpic).
    Click 'Backup' and save to a new folder.
    Burn disk.

You can also use PgcEdit to do this, but it's a little more involved if you are not familiar (but it is faster).
    In either case the disk has to be burned again.

Many DVD Authoring programs (like DVD Flick) will give the option of setting the default subtitles before authoring the movie.