1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardcoding Subs to avi and keeping original filesize

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by doppleherz, Sep 18, 2011.

1. doppleherz

doppleherz Member

I read the guide on how to hardcode subtitles into an .avi file. I did everything right and it worked, don't get me wrong, but the file size is so much bigger then the original video. The original video was 700 mb but the video with the hardcode subs is about 1.45 GB. Everything worked the subtitles work but I don't like how the video is so much bigger and the quality is still pretty much the same aside from the subtitles. Is there any way I can hardcode an avi and keep the original file size with minimal quality loss? Even if it's a little bigger I don't care but twice as big just doesn't cut it for me.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Since the size of the video file is always the running time times the bitrate, the new file must have been compressed at a higher rate than the source.

If the intent is to play the video on a standalone player, the options are:

1.Burn the .srt file to the same disk as the original video file.

2.Merge the subtitles using AviAddXSubs (the subs are turned on/off using the remote) - the new video file is slightly larger.

3.Use AutoGK to make a custom size, hard coded video using the source video and .srt file.
    The custom size in this case would be 700MB.