1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hardrives

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jazbebies, Jul 10, 2007.

1. jazbebies

jazbebies Guest

i need a upgrade badly for hard drive as the one i have now is dead slow! i need a fast and reliable one. any recommendations? ie: scsi ide sata

ta

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

scsi means you have to have a scsi controller card whether built into motherboard or as a card to use a scsi hd. does your motherboard have sata connectors on it because if no then need a pci sata controller card? what is the capacity of current hd?

3. jazbebies

jazbebies Guest

ddp money is no object to me, whichever is the best over all including excellent speed and reliability is what i shall get.

Just for the record yes i do have ide and sata onboard, currently i have a 60gb ide drive.

ta

4. 1ceCold

1ceCold Member

Scsi is your best bet. I have a Scsi Ultra 320 and an Ultra 160. Their sweet. Also 2 SATA Raptors. Gotta love my mother board.
    Gigabyte GA-8KNXP Ultra64

5. jazbebies

jazbebies Guest

yes that board looks like a beauty.

ok with scsi, ddp says i need a controller card. Could you guide me to a compatible card for me please, i only have pci slots on my board. I take it the card will need the same type scsi hard drive to work with it or do they all use same connector?

ta

6. 1ceCold

1ceCold Member

Well, Usually if your motherboard doesnt have it built in you need your card and your scsi cable. Ive also seen a terminator which i had in my old computer to help with it. Im not REALLY familiar with scsi. But i use it. Lol

7. jazbebies

jazbebies Guest

Ah right lol

Lets forget scsi as it appears too much to handle, them sata raptors you said, they are hard drives i take it yes and connect to my onboard sata connector. much better than ide i would imagine, compaired to scsi how different is sata? like speed / reliability etc

ta

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2007
  8. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

9. ddp

what is great about scsi drives is that you can connect 7 & theoretically 64 scsi drives or devices like scanners that you cannot do with ide or sata. the problem with scsi drives is that they were expensive in relation to the ide but were faster. my 1st hd was a 105mb scsi drive which i still have but not connected.

10. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

With the size of the new SATA and Ide drives, you won't need to have too many connected to get all of the storage that you need. :)

11. higgielk

higgielk Guest

If you need the utmost in speed go scsi, but they are pricey.

I just did a build with two wdc250ks drives in a raid 0. they are sata II drives. It loads plenty fast. If you need more, go with the 150 raptors from wdc. do a raid 0 with 2 of them. the downside is they are sata 1 drives, but 10k spindles.

Honestly, I think a raid 0 array with 2 sata drives will be more then
    you need. Unless you have to have the best.

Its all in what you want to pay for. Things will load faster, but not run faster, unless you have a high end cpu and board.

12. jazbebies

jazbebies Guest

Alright

Ive gone for the easy root and will get a sata hard drive as i have the connector already onboard. ive found a hardrive on ebay can someone take a look and see if its ok. If there is better elsewhere please advise.

item number:- 130133328843

ta

13. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Well it is eBay so you have to be wary. But it is almost half the price of what the drive usually sells for and the seller has a 99.99% positive feedback rating. And has had zero negative feedback in the last year. I would go for it.

14. 1ceCold

1ceCold Member

PeaInAPod

You are a edited by ddp. Scsi runs at 10k-15k RPMS. Fastest there is. Im getting ready to upgrade my Raptors here soon.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
  15. higgielk

higgielk Guest

whoa, have you checked the retail online vendors like newegg, tigerdirect, etc. I know this drive has sold in the 170 us range after rebate. It might not be the one with all the pretty lights, but....

16. ddp

1ceCold, apologize to PeaInAPod ASAP!!
    6. No foul language, insults, personal attacks or otherwise rude messages.
    Western Digital 150G Raptor - 10000rpm - 16Mb Cache - SATA-150 Hard Drive w/NCQ - WD1500ADFD (OEM)
    Western Digital 36G Raptor - 10000rpm - 16Mb Cache - SATA Hard Drive - WD360ADFD (OEM)
    Western Digital 74G Raptor - 10000rpm - 16Mb Cache - SATA Hard Drive - WD740ADFD (OEM)

17. 1ceCold

1ceCold Member

I dont see how thats offensive but hell im a nice guy. Sorry PeaInAPod. Next time DO YOUR RESEARCH. I have 2
    Western Digital 74G Raptor - 10000rpm - 16Mb Cache - SATA Hard Drive - WD740ADFD (OEM)

Yes, I know their 10000 RPMS, But SCSI is 15000, Atleast mine are.

18. ddp

1ceCold, but not all are as depends on the age of the drive(s). post edited

19. jazbebies

jazbebies Guest

Theres a difference of opinion here, now im not sure whether sata is the right choice or not lol.

I had a look for scsi hardrives on ebay too and found 15000rpm 72gb, which is fastest so ive heard. i was thinking of buying two of them and a guy at my pc shop told me he has a few second hand scsi controller cards for sale for £25 each. Would i get better performance from purchasing two of them rather than one sata raptor hard drive?

I can always ask the pc shop to fix it all up if its too complicated anyway.

Just to say i do really appreciate all your help everybody.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2007
  20. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Not to be a smartass, but instead of calling me names like you did. Next time why not just post an answer? I posted this...
    I think that post made it pretty clear that I know nothing about SCSI drives. So instead of calling me names why not post a reply to my question? As you obviously have something to say about the topic.