1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hards disk badblocks

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by gamer1987, Sep 20, 2020.

1. wither 1

wither 1 Member

I was trying to track the means by which a bad sector is identified and it's elusive as hell. However, in doing all this searching, I got back to reading the original post and I think he wants to know if it's S.M.A.R.T which does this and prevents writing to a bad sector. I can't find the answer to that question. The article at Wikipedia on it, does mention that it's an ATA technology and not all hard drives use it.

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Sectors/blocks are defined by numbers. They most likely have a hash that is read by the drives firmware on it's chip. It's irrelevant. Bad sectors mean 1 thing drive is on it's way out

3. wither 1

wither 1 Member

I don't agree that a drive with some bad sectors is on it's way out. Never had a hard drive without any. There are a number of tools available to check the status of a hard drive.

I didn't find anything about firmware on a hard drive. I guess SMART (took out the periods because I'm lazy) is the equivalent of firmware. SMART does log soft bad sectors and I guess hard bad sectors.