hards disk badblocks

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by gamer1987, Sep 20, 2020.

1. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

I was trying to track the means by which a bad sector is identified and it's elusive as hell. However, in doing all this searching, I got back to reading the original post and I think he wants to know if it's S.M.A.R.T which does this and prevents writing to a bad sector. I can't find the answer to that question. The article at Wikipedia on it, does mention that it's an ATA technology and not all hard drives use it.

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Sectors/blocks are defined by numbers. They most likely have a hash that is read by the drives firmware on it's chip. It's irrelevant. Bad sectors mean 1 thing drive is on it's way out

3. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

I don't agree that a drive with some bad sectors is on it's way out. Never had a hard drive without any. There are a number of tools available to check the status of a hard drive.

I didn't find anything about firmware on a hard drive. I guess SMART (took out the periods because I'm lazy) is the equivalent of firmware. SMART does log soft bad sectors and I guess hard bad sectors.

bvmuinzx12 likes this.
  4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

My post is largely focused on platter drives. while I do have an SSD main drive, I don't have the experience with them that I do with platter drives.

Whether or not a bad sector on a drive can be repaired depends on what's causing it. If it is physical damage or hard damage on a platter drive such as a head crash then the sector is gone forever and can't be fixed, and it's likely that more bad sectors will start to appear over time. If it's a main drive or a storage drive filled with important data then it would be wise to replace it, and move the data to the new drive. If it's soft damage then it would be best to try recover the data save it to another drive, and reformatting. Hard drives are cheap to replace, but data loss, especially if it's important mementos such as family photos, might be irreplaceable.

5. gamer1987

gamer1987 Member

Hard disks (HDD) of PCs have any technology that prevents files from being saved in bad sectors (badblocks)? i have HDD 2000 year

Will 100% DVD burning of a file that are in these bad sectors (badblocks) without me knowing they are in these sectors? i use imgburn or ashampoo or burnaware free

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The issue with a bad sector is if a chunk of a file is already located in one when it occurs then that chunk is lost. Physical bad sectors happen because of some sort of drive hardware failure. But none of that has anything to do with burning a DVD. Anything can be burned to a DVD, even corrupted data, but the data on the DVD will still be corrupted. If you're having problems burning DVDs then let's not mix it in with a discussion over bad drive sectors because nothing will come of it.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
  7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

agreed.

8. gamer1987

gamer1987 Member

I didn't do zero fill and I don't remember if I did scandisk before burning the dvds so the recording was done with this data possibly in badblock bad sectors making the dvd with corrupted data?

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

If you've burned a DVD with corrupted data then the data on the DVD is corrupted, it's not rocket science. If you have a bad sector on your hard drive then it's unlikely that you were able to burn it at all, because you can't burn what you can't access. I don't think you have an issue here any more than you did in the previous thread "Firmware DVD drive disc quality test and Mdisc support." AD members go out of their way to assist people who have real issues, but your issues seem disingenuous. So let me ask you a question. Are you here to troll AD members, and if so why?

aldan likes this.
  10. ddp

watching.

aldan likes this.
  11. gamer1987

gamer1987 Member

I don't know if I burned corrupted files I just had a HDD with bad sectors badblock, I downloaded files on that HDD and burned to DVD so I thought if these files were downloaded in the bad sectors and then burned to DVD

12. ddp

if the files were loaded onto the bad sectors then the burned files are corrupted. as files normally not downloaded to bad sectors on the hdd then the hdd is getting more bad sectors. replace the drive. who made your hard drive as in Seagate, Western Digital or what?

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

If you've burned corrupted files then you would know it. Is the DVD a data disc or does it contain DVD video? If it's a data disc then all you have to do is review the data to see if it's in tact. If the data appears to be in good order then your DVD data disc is no longer a concern. If your disk is a DVD video then the same should apply. Play it, and if it plays with no issues then it's good. What you're doing is conflating two separate functions as though they were conditions of each other.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    aldan likes this.