1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardsub size problem. Possible to make it bigger?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by tsukia, May 20, 2007.

1. tsukia

tsukia Member

I've read and learned a lot about soft and hard subs which were unknown to me until now but my dilemma is this:

I got a lot of animes that are hardsubbed and I am unable to read them (subs) on my NDSlite with R4 (not important knowing what it's) but since the screen is so small, .avi resized to 256x144, so are the subtitles.

I know we can't edit (I don't know if it's for everything which is why I am trying with the Size question here) hardsubs because it's to prevent subs from getting stolen by other people but is it possible to make the subs any bigger? I don't want to change the fonts, colors or whatnot. Only to make the subs a little bit bigger, that's all.

Is there a program that can do that? To make hardsubs bigger? I've tried many and nothing worked or even seemed close to.

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

No no, the screen will be alwais resized to fit the TV screen; this is true for 720x480 and for 256x144 as well.
    You cannot alter the subtitles size: they will appear as they do when you play the AVI on a PC AVI player.
    It's strange you see it too small. Can you post here a screen image, to make me to see what is happening?

Anyway, enlarging a hardsub is impossible. The only way a way to enlarge a hardsubtitle would exist if the subtitle did not fill the AVI screen, like:
    [.....subtitle.....]
    [......] = AVI screen (XxY) automatically enlarged so it matches the TV screen (")

and you'd need to create a 2nd AVI with a part of the screen 'cut out', so then when playing the AVI on your TV the screen would be enlarged a little more, since X' ---> X - cut , so smaller .
    The second AVI would have to become
    [.subtitle.]
    (supposing you have cut L and R a '....' part)

Too much work and, more, a part of the video would be lost. Better to use a larger TV to watch your anime....

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  3. tsukia

tsukia Member

I am able to watch those same animes correctly on my avi player for my TV or on the computer. I sometimes resize anime's Height and Width so the subs can fit on my TV thought.

I will explain in details:

NDSlite is the Nintendo DS lite. The little console which is the new gameboy generation. It's the PSP counterpart. I want to watch animes with it while I am riding the bus and metro (4hrs everyday) when I am going to my job.

I modded my NDS and that means I am able to play every games and I am also able to watch movies (namely animes in my case) and play MP3.

The 256x144 is the screen size of the NDS, that is why it's so small. I have to use a program to convert my .avi into .dpg (NDS format to watch movies) so I can watch something and it also automatically resize it to 256x144 (and so does the subs).

That's it for the explanation.

Aldaco12, I didn't really understand your ''the only way to enlarge a hardsub would ... like:''

But don't waste your time trying to anyway. It seems like it would required a lot of time and blah.

I kept searching and it seriously seems there is no way for my problem other than watching my animes on something else.

I should of just bought a portative phillips DIVX player instead of a portative console that can play mp3/games/movies but on such a little screen.

Thank you for you time.