1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware help...

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by shadester, Aug 4, 2007.

1. shadester

shadester Member

Hi everyone. The 3.5mm sockets to plug headphones into on my laptop has broken off... I have spent countless hours looking for a website that sells these parts, to no avail... Radioshack swears they have them, but I can't find them at the store or online... I found one European site, but I can't buy from them... Anyone know of any online sites or stores in the US that have these sockets that solder directly onto the sound card?

[​IMG]

2. AXT

AXT Guest

Your best bet would be to find the part for your computer on ebay or from a place in your neighborhood that recycles computers (call up some computer recycling facilities and check with them to see if they have the part you need as many of them sell used parts). Many sellers on ebay are willing to send stuff overseas as long as they get paid for it. Just look for your model (Or something similar to your model from the same manufacturer that has the same layout as your own). It does not have to be a whole new computer, but just something such as an old motherboard that has the part you need.

Anyways, good luck.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what you are looking for, radio shack won't have. can't use one's off sound cards or desktop motherboards. in what way have they broken off the motherboard?

4. shadester

shadester Member

I dont need the part off of a motherboard or anything... just another old laptop soundcard, so that they have the same solder joints (5 pins, as you can see in the picture)

They didn't "break off" in any sense... the actual sockets are bad, the metal connections required by the headphone jack are broken, so the whole socket is useless without those connectors...

i just need those black 3.5mm headphone sockets as seen in the picture... probably a used computer parts place might have them, but I would have to buy the whole sound card, so might as well do that... unless I can get a broken sound card for parts, but I don't know who would sell a broken sound card...

It's for an Dell Inspiron 9100, if that's any help...

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Look at an electronic component store. You won't be able to replace the sound card because it's just an integrated chip on the motherboard, so you'll have to solder the new connector onto the board.