1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware question

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by SadJoker, Apr 3, 2003.

1. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Memory boosters / managers can do some good in some cases, but I wouldn't give a general recommendation since they can be a source of problems as well.

Mem Turbo is one of those sleazy products/companies on the net that I don't want to support http://www.memturbo.com/ . Their website is suspicious at it's best.

[bold]How do memory managers/boosters work?[/bold]

Memory boosters swap parts of the system's memory that hasn't been recently used to the Windows paging file. This does free physical RAM temporarily, but the same amount of total memory (RAM+paging file) is still used. If the system needs the data swapped to the paging file, the retreiving of that data slows down significantly (HD is much slower that RAM).

So there is no magic in the RAM boosters - they just re-organize.

2. SadJoker

SadJoker Regular member

Richard,
    the problem only happens when I try to burn audio cds on the fly. Ive tried slowing the burning speed down to slowass 1x and still getting that irrating bufferunderun error or whatever error it is. alcochol 120% just spits the cdr out with an error saying something is wrong with the burning operation blahblah when I try the copy on the fly option.. Oh well.. Shoey's configuration suggestion did get my burner to burn properly at 12x. No more 10 minute cd burns! ~laffs ~

3. Ricard

Ricard Member

However I think your problem is related to the CDROM capacity with DAE. I always do an image to the HDD and then burn a CD. It's slower but safer.

4. SadJoker

SadJoker Regular member

Yea thats what Ive been doing - creating an image first or ripping the disc to MP3 first. Ive been looking at getting a new burner anyway. a DVDROM drive maybe.