1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hate being a newbie

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by GeoHound, Dec 22, 2002.

1. GeoHound

GeoHound Member

Well obviously I am a newbie. I have never burnt a dvd yet. besides a dragonball z dvd. Now I want to get into more complex burning. I have read a few of the posts in this forum, and even if the say they are a newb it still seems like they know their stuff. I know nothing when it comes to this. I have looked at a few guides but can't seem to understand it straight. If someone can tell me how to burn a DVD-9 as it is called into 2 DVD+R/-R in an easy to understand kind of way. I would really appreciate it. Is it possible to take out some of the extra features? I want to be able to get this all down within 4-5 days.... can someone please help?

2. DVDPlanet

DVDPlanet Guest

GeoHound,

Backing up your DVD is as easy as 1,2,and 3
    1. RIP
    2. STRIP or SPLIT
    3. BURN

TIPS. make sure you try to STRIP it first, if not then SPLIT it into 2 DVDRs and keep all menus. Merry Christmas!!!

3. GeoHound

GeoHound Member

What programs would I need? to strip it just means to take out features, right? Thanx for the help... I also have one more question. Now say I have a lot of vhs tapes I'd like to back up on dvd. I have a video capture card and I don't know what to do from there.

4. HomerJ

HomerJ Moderator Staff Member

GeoHound,

Stick to one problem at a time, it's all EASY when you know how, until then it's VERY HARD.

How about splitting a DVD-9 disc to start with ?

To do this, you will need Smartripper & Ifoedit, to do the DVD backup stuff You will also need burning software, but I guess you already have that, judging by your first post.

Both these are available from the home page of Afterdawn > Software.

Install these and report back.

When you next report back, it might also be helpful if you post your PC setup, things like CPU type, operating system RAM etc.

If you don't mind splitting a movie to 2 discs, it's fairly straight forward, as DVDPlanet says.

HomerJ

5. GeoHound

GeoHound Member

Hey Homer, okay I got those programs now. My setup is kind of whack right now... but I have an athlon 1700+ 196mb ram, a verbatim dvd+r/rw, and I'm using win xp... which reading a few posts will not work right with ifoedit. I don't have no other os's. but yeah I want to split it into 2 dvd's. and I don't really feel like purchasing dvd x copy. I am planning to upgrade my system but not sure when.

6. HomerJ

Geohound,

I use XP with no problems, so lets give it a try. Ifoedit is a great programme, it does lots of different things, people never tell you what the exact problems are, so lets give it a shot.

First I’ll explain what we are going to do, then how to do it.

WHAT:

Before we start anything, we are going to create 4 directories. I use my drive F:\ so that’s the format I’ll use, you can choose what you like.

Their names are :- F:\disc1 F:\disc1 new ifo F:\disc2 F:\disc2 new ifo

We then use Smartripper to rip “Movie Only” (No extras ) BUT, we are ripping it twice, first time we rip half the Chapters (disc 1) 2nd rip does the 2nd half of the movie. It’s a bit rough and ready, but you should easily be able to get the VOBs on a single DVD-r.

For the purpose of this exercise our movie has 18 chapters.

HOW.

Before we open up Smartripper, Play your DVD movie for a few seconds, then close it down. You must do this so that Smartripper can “Unlock” the drive (daft I know but there it is).

Launch Smartripper, you should see a box open on the left of your screen, and then the main Smartripper screen. Click on the “Movie” Button. In the centre of the screen, a box marked “Chapters” each box has a tick in it, this means the Chapter has been selected to be ripped, but, we are only ripping the first half remember, so, scroll down, and check the no of Chapters. Un check the 2nd half (11 to 18 in our example).

At the bottom of the screen you will see a box marked “Target”. This is where we are going to copy the ripped files to. Click on the “Explorer” type icon, and select F:\disc1 and save as option vts_01

Just to be on the safe side, check Stream Processing Tab. The “Enable Stream Processing” Box MUST NOT BE CHECKED.

After that, hit Start, and it should rip the first half of the movie.

When it’s finished, go into the disc1 directory, you should have 3 VOB files vts_01_1 vts_01_2 vts_02_2 and a vts_01_0.ifo (there may be a *.txt file as well but that doesn’t matter)

OK, I’ll leave it here for now. It’s very important that stage has gone OK, otherwise it’s not worth carrying on.

HomerJ

7. T2K

T2K Guest

Can any of you experts help me us out with authoring dvd MOTION MENU'S. and completing the title set for burning after the menus's and authoring are completed! Thanks a ton! TIM.2.K.

8. GeoHound

GeoHound Member

okay I did the ripping it seems to be about right. now I'm not sure what to do.

9. T2K

T2K Guest

geo hound, I just looked over your posts.

if you want to back up vhs and create menus with music, get dazzle digital video creator 100, to burn dvd video files use stomp record now max.

10. GeoHound

GeoHound Member

Hey T2K is there any possible way to back up vhs with the existing programs I have... I don't really feel like spending money on purchasing that software. oh and homer is it possible when you split the dvd if you can have like the extra features on 1 dvd and the movie on another? thanx guys

11. HomerJ

Geohound,

Good, now for stage 2.

Open Ifoedit, click on “Open” bottom left of the screen, open the vts_01_0.ifo file in the “disc1” directory.

At the top of the screen click on “VOB extras>create new Ifos

This brings up the VOB extras Options.

The following options should be checked :-
    Correct Vob-Unit (Navigation Pack)…..
    Correct IFO tables with new VOB……..
    Create new VIDEO_TS.IFO & VTS_01_0.IFO
    Remove P-Uops
    Remove Macrovision
    Adjust Vob-Unit Pointers
    Adjust Audio/Subp point

Then, under the File/Directory Paths, make “Destination directory” F:\disc1 new ifo

Then Click OK.

Ifoedit then starts to analyse your files, and write 4 new files into “disc 1 new ifos” directory. This might take 15-20 minutes.

When complete, shut down Ifoedit and go into Windows Explorer, and check to see that the 4 new files have bee written. These should be :-
    VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VIDEO_TS.IFO
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VTS_01_0.IFO

Now, still in Explorer, got directory disc 1, and delete ALL files EXCEPT *.VOB files. Then copy across from disc 1 new ifos to disc 1 the 4 new files.

Nearly there now.

Re open Ifoedit, and open disc 1 directory, file :- VTS_01_0.IFO.

At the bottom of the screen click on “Get VTS sectors”.

Click OK every time Ifoedit prompts you, until complete.

Shutdown Ifoedit.

That’s it. You have now have a VOB set that will be small enough to burn and play in any settop box.

For the second half of the movie, just “uncheck the chapters 1-9 (or whatever) and place you file sin the disc 2 sections (just so you don’t muddle them up.

HomerJ

12. T2K

T2K Guest

WOW! thanks for the Ifoedit tips I have the prog, now I can actully use it! thanks again homerj!
    ...if you have any more ifoedit tips please post em. you explain things very well.

13. TommyG

TommyG Member

HomerJ, or anyone,

After completing all of those steps, what program do you use to burn to the DVD-R/W and how do you do it?
    Thanks

14. T2K

T2K Guest

Tommy g, I have a multitude of burning software, but my favorite is stomp-record now max. load the program,(I allways close the wizzard) then click data then add your video_ts audio_ts folers or dvd video files then select speed and burn. works like a charm!

15. HomerJ

TommyG,

I use Nero (5.5.9.0) or DVD Factory, but I do believe you can use Ifoedit as well these days.

HomerJ

16. T2K

T2K Guest

hrmm... dvd factory, ill have to try it, any advantages??

17. HomerJ

T2K,

Yes, I use it for burning disc images.

Main menu :select disc image

step 1 image name....

step 2 burn disc.

DONE.

HomerJ

18. T2K

T2K Guest

ill give it a try thanks!

how about authoring software?
    what do you perfer useing?
    I would like to create motion menus w/sound

19. HomerJ

T2K,

I think this thread is getting a bit off topic.

I'm waiting to hear from GeoHound to see if he/she has finally managed to split their DVD.

However, please feel free to satrt a new thread on the subject.

HomerJ

20. GeoHound

GeoHound Member

Hey Homer thank you so much... you made it more clear than the guides I looked at. but is there still a way to just throw the extra features on 1 dvd and the movie on the other, or is this the only way? But thanx for all your help.