1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having a hard time burning...but all different errors

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by atm813, Jan 22, 2005.

1. atm813

atm813 Guest

Hi, I've looked through all of the threads to try to find an answer first. I had no problem making back ups for a while....then I thought I had no problem, until every disk began stalling, skipping, freezing at different places in disk...all coasters -even ones that worked once, but wouldn't play again -(about 50). I read advice, and got better disks (I was using Imation, then Memorex, then TDK, now I have Verbatum.) They seemed to be working, now every 2 movies or so, I get all sorts of errors...sometimes I/o and other errors during reading, lots of them near the end of burning, so I only get a partial movie. These happen with dvd x copy platinum, new and old versions, with updated shrink and decoder and I have anydvd running in the background (updated. I turn off norton anti virus and firewall etc... so I am ending up with a lot of coasters again. Also, sometimes the movies work when I check them (all they way through), but then when we go to watch them, they freeze.
    I have a hp media center pc m470n, fairly new...an hp dvdwriter, 53 % free space on the hard drive. I think I have followed all of the previous threads for each individual error, but nothing seems to consistantly work. Any ideas? Sorry this was so long!

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Did you check the discs on other pcs or stand alone dvd players?

3. atm813

atm813 Guest

yes. I tried them on two stand alones, different brands, and a portable, and my computer. They do the same thing on all four players. Since I changed to Verbatum, I haven't had the freezing problem yet (knock on wood, but only have tried 4 or 5)...now the problem is more inconsistant burning...Often times, I will try to back up a movie a few times (unsuccessfully), and get several different errors each time! It seems strange to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2005
  4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

There is quite a bit of quality difference between verbatim,imation,and memorex. You even have to watch out for verbatim.Most brands of media use many different manufacturers. I have been using verbatim +4x and +8x coded mcc003,mc002,and ricohjpn01. Mcoo3 is by far the best and the other two are pretty decent.I heard someone here got of hold of verbatim c-mags,This is one of the worst manufacturers. Memorex uses c-magnetics corp to make a large portion of their media.

Poor media has to be burned slower.The stand alone players magnefy the problems of poor media. Your symptoms are classic signs of poor media.

Here's a free handy program to check the manufacturing code on your blank dvd's: http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/dvd_identifier.cfm

How fast do you burn?

5. atm813

atm813 Guest

I think I burn at 4x...
    Since my last post...I tried to back up Ladykillers again... the first time I used dvd x copy platinum. It read fine, wrote until about 70%, then said there was an error. So, I tried using shrink, then decrypter. It read fine, seemingly burned fine until 63%, then froze my entire computer, and ruined another disk... I actually had to unplug it to turn it off. (I am starting to think it would be cheaper to buy two copies of my dvds!)
    I will check out the link you gave me...
    Thanks for your help (and patience...I am clearly not too good at this! :) )
    Which brand do you recommend?

The verbatim discs are mcc-002 digital movie dvd+r's..thanks for the link!
    I also have TDK RO1-002

Poor media wouldn't explain the frequent read errors too though would it? Often times I don't even get to the burning phase.
    Another note that may or may not be of importance... I do have Windows service pack 2

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2005
  6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey atm, The quality of media makes a whole lot of difference in dvd burning. Those verbatim digital movie quality discs code as mcc-002,decent but not one of the best. These are made in taiwan. The verbatim's made in japan are a lot better,coded mccoo3.
    Poor media is the #1 problem.Burn errors and stand alone playability.

You said the freezing,skipping, and burn errors near the end of burning and on all stand alones and pc.

Go open up dvd shrink,edit,preferences, set the target to custom,4300 mbs. This is where mine is set on both pcs. This keeps the edge of the disc from being burned.This is the area of uneven dye on poorer discs.It is also where most people touch the discs.

Tdk r0-002,I cannot locate. Here is a handy site that will get you close on media quality and lots of info.: http://digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
    It hasn't been updated for a while so some of the newer codes aren't in there.

A brand I would recommend? If buying in a local store here in usa,Maxell 4x. They have about 4 different manufacturers and all 4 are very reputatable.Most brands of media is like this,but quality can vary big-time between different amount of lots and formats.If buying on the net,ty's and verbatim media life plus.

Try reducing the target size to 4300 mbs and burn as slow as you can.

Windows service pack #2? It gives some people trouble, I refuse to update it.

7. atm813

atm813 Guest

Hi again! I set it at 4300...I also used decrypter first, then shrink, then decrypter again. The burn speed was variable...going anywhere from 0.5x to 1.9x (is this a good thing?) But it seems to have worked for Ladykillers (third time's a charm I guess)

About service pack 2 ... I am learning...apparently too slowly, because I intalled it before I heard of all the problems it can cause. Live and learn, I guess.
    Anyway, thanks for all the help. Hopefully this will gain me some consistency!

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

With the reduced target size and slower burning,your backups should be better. When you get some very good media,then you should be able to kick up that burn speed.

I am a dvd shrink and nero sort of guy so I use dvd decrypter very little.Anydvd running in the background helps on removing some of the newer encryptions that are being placed on dvd's.

Decrypter is faster than shrink on ripping the smaller movies,but most of them are over 4.7 gigs so you have to go through shrink anyways to make it fit the standard dvdr.

9. J_man

J_man Regular member

atm813,
    Media is very important,I'm using verbatim 8x+R branded media(verbatim printed on the inside circle) This guarentees they were not outsorced to a diffrent manufacturer usually somewhere in Mexico. I haven't gotten a single coaster with over 150 backups.
    Anyways here are another few options that might help your situtation.
    Defrag your hard drive so the files being copied are not spread over a large area of empty fragmented files. This will enable better burning with less errors.
    Make sure you antivirus sofware is disabled, screensavers are off as well and do not surf the internet while burning.
    Set decryptor to write at 4x or 2x speed for ISO write mode.

10. atm813

atm813 Guest

Thank you guys so much for all of your help! Much appreciated. Will be back if I still have same issues!!!
    Thanks again

Is nero better than decrypter? I would be willing to try it