1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having a nightmare installing Epson R300

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Pete872, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Pete872

Pete872 Member

Right i've been out today and bought a Epson R300 but when I try to install it onto my pc it keeps crashing.

I am using windows XP Home and a dell dimension 8000 pc.

The error message i'm getting is:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shutdaon to prevent damage to your computer.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If the screen appears again follow these steps.

Check to be sure you have adequate disc space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adaptors.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable componants, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options and then select safe mode.

Technical information:

***stop:0x0000008e (0x0000005,0x804e8b66,0xf7bbb9a4,0x00000000)

Begining dump of physical memory

Physical memory dump complete.

Contact your systems administration or technical support group for further assistance.

So there you have it i'm TOTALLY lost

One thing I thought it may be is I am using the usb cable from the printer I have just connected A dell A920. Is that what it means when it says IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Is the usb cable not up to the job???

Hope one of you techy heads out there can help.

Cheers,

Pete.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

are you using sp2 & if so have you got the updated r300 driver from epson??

3. Pete872

Pete872 Member

ddp,

Yeah I am using sp2 and I have downloaded the updated driver from epson. I have managed to get the printer installed this morning through a lot of trail and error and a lot of crashes, but I still have a problem were whenever I turn the printer on or of The pc craches and I have the message above appear.

When I have re-booted the pc I have even had cpu fan failure appear twice which is rather worrying.

I'm pulling me bloody hair out here!

Pete.

4. Pete872

Pete872 Member

I've been on the phone to Dell today and we have established that it is not hardware related and they reckon it's software. They have told me it will cost upwards of £21 for them to resolve the problem. Like I said I have updated the drivers on the Epson website.

Should I bite the bullet and get stung by Dell or can anyone suggest anything else?

Thanks,

Pete.

5. ddp

did you check the epson faq to see if related problems

6. Pete872

Pete872 Member

Hi ddp,

I forgot to mention that I was also on the phone to epson technical department too and they were happy that it is not a printer error.

Cheers,

Pete.

7. ddp

uninstall the printer program, defrag the hd than reinstall the printer program. check the microsoft site in reference to that error line

8. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Sounds like you have an IRQ conflict. Click on start/all programs/accessories/system tools/system information/hardware resources/conficts-sharing. you will see a list of IRQs. (Also have a look at IRQs. It will say if its' status is OK, or not!) Any conficts should show up, just scroll down & have a look.
    Here is a link you may find of interest.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/res/irq/num.htm

And another,

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000365.htm

Hope this was of some help.

Pulsar
    PS, Epson were bound to say it is not their printer at fault! Have you tried it on another PC?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  9. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Pete872

A couple of things that might help.

Try to reset your Virtual memory adjustments/paging file to make sure it is not corrupted now:

Make a note of your Virtual settings, change to zero, save, then put back to the way it was.

If you would like to set paging file settings do the following under XP:

"Short version"

Left Click "ONCE" on My Computer to highlight it.

Right click on "My Computer"

Left Click on Properties

Left Click on Advanced Tab

Left Click on Performance Settings

Left Click on Advanced Tab under Performance Options

@ Virtual Memory, Left Click on Change

Raise/Replace it to a level you are comfortable with, max of 3x your Memory installed.

Make sure your USB drivers are also up to date without conflicts.

It still can be a combination of Hardware and Software driver errors. What do you have plugged into USB's on your PC? Do you have a USB Mouse or Keyboard or an additional USB Hub?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  10. Pete872

Pete872 Member

Back again!

Right first of all thanks for the help on this I feel i'm making headway but very very slowly.

I have tried uninstalling the printer, defraging and re-installing.

I have also Done as pulsar said and checked for IRQ conflicts the results are here:

I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 PCI bus
    I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 Direct memory access controller

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF Intel(R) 925X PCI Express Root Port - 2585
    I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF RADEON X300 Series

IRQ 21 Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 2658
    IRQ 21 Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 265C

IRQ 16 Intel(R) 925X PCI Express Root Port - 2585
    IRQ 16 RADEON X300 Series
    IRQ 16 Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM PCI Express Root Port - 2660
    IRQ 16 Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller
    IRQ 16 Creative Audigy Audio Processor (WDM)

IRQ 17 Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM PCI Express Root Port - 2662
    IRQ 17 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    IRQ 17 Intel(R) 537EP V9x DF PCI Modem

Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xD7FFFFFF Intel(R) 925X PCI Express Root Port - 2585
    Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xD7FFFFFF RADEON X300 Series

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus
    Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF Intel(R) 925X PCI Express Root Port - 2585
    Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF RADEON X300 Series

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB Intel(R) 925X PCI Express Root Port - 2585
    I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB RADEON X300 Series

Nothing jumping out at me there, but what do I know.

Also Looked at IRQ's which were all OK.

I have spoken to a couple of guy's at work today who also bought the same pc (it was a promotion through work) One had said it could be a conflict with the old printer. So I came home uninstall the old printer did as ddp had said uninstalled the epson and defraged the pc. Then re-install the printer, Now I am actually able to turn the pc on turn the printer on and print merrily away and everything is fine UNTIL it comes to switching the printer off, thats when the pc spits it's dummy out and crashes. So to recap the only time the pc crashes now is when I turn OFF the printer.

Not sure i'm confident enough to go changing things like Scuba bud has suggested like I said i'm a complete noddy.

Cheers,

Pete.

11. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Pete

Since this is starting to become anyone’s guess game how about answering just a couple of questions?

What do you have on your USB ports?
    Is there a USB hub, several USB’s on one Hub device, that you are using also?
    Do you use a USB keyboard and/or mouse or are they plugged into your PS2 ports?

You can also state the following:

How much free HD space is left and what are your settings, (without changing them if you feel uncomfortable with that,) what are the Virtual or Page File settings?

Edit: It does show Enhanced Host controller in your previous post.

[bold]IRQ 21 Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 265C[/bold]

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005
  12. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Alas for the 'good ol' days'... a parallel port on IRQ7!
    Windows doesn't like your printer drivers.
    And look at your ACPI PC - what a nightmare IRQ assignment ;-(
    It is somewhat typical (for ACPI) but is still sharing in some cases 3 important devices ie. IRQ16.
    I would love to get my hands on your BIOS and see what tweakings are possible - but I can't easily tell you exactly what should be done...
    If you know a good PC Hardware man, or have one at work, get him to hold 'del' and take a look at your configuration.
    I note that your rig is new (PCI-eXpress) and there may be many recent BIOS updates posted, to address issues just like this :)
    Perhaps if you uninstall everything (every printer thing) and reboot, then power-on printer, THEN plug-in USB to PC, Windows will detect new USB printer and offer to download WHQL drivers of its own choosing...
    My buddy has some Lexmark USB printer and we had ALL KINDS of trouble getting WinXP Pro to play nice with it - he dual-boots Win98SE now, both for his kids and in case he wants to print something, LoL ;-)
    Sad, I know, but you are in good company!
    Hope you get it sorted, let us know,
    Regards

Last edited: Mar 10, 2005
  13. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Here is another thread on the same problem. Maybe some of these suggestions will help. Some have already been suggested and tried but it might be worth reading.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/113104

Hope you find some help in it.

Jerry

14. Pete872

Pete872 Member

Hi guy's sorry I havnt posted for a few days all is sorted now a mate has sorted it over the weekend for me some kind of conflict as has been suggested.

Once again thanks for all the help.

Cheers,

Pete.