1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having Codec Issues? Look here.

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Praetor, Sep 8, 2003.

1. delphium

delphium Member

Hello,

I play avi files in nero showtime(or WMP) and they are fine,but when i put the file into nero vision ready to be burnt the movie jumps ever so slighty every couple of seconds.I have removed all codecs,fiddled with neros settings,tried other programs like DVD Santa etc and still get the same results.i am using nero 6.6 ,i upgraded to 7 with the same results..,

Help!

2. FireMnkey

FireMnkey Member

Hi, I was having trouble with viewing movies and a friend gave me the recomendations you have posted here and so I followed the advice and it did solve the problem of watching movies BUT I now have created a new problem. I do animation as a hobby and today I went to put together a piece I was working on and to my surprise I found that I now cannot use mp3 encoding in Virtual Dub [which is the program I use to combine my art with the sound] - appearently when I uninstalled all the codecs I wiped out the ability to encode waves as mp3s but when I added back a basic set of codecs I can decode mp3 audio but I cannot encode it - at least not with Virtual Dub.

Oddly it seems that audiocatalyst still works so I'm guessing it has something built into it. Anyway, I tried to find a codec to allow me to encode in mp3 format again but I have no idea where to look - when I bought my computer several years ago it already had the codecs that I use in doing animation installed on it so I never really thought about them [didn't know what was a part of the OS and what was added on] - I run Win98SE [please don't suggest "upgrading" as I have no interest in XP or 2000] and all I really need is to know what codec is required for Virtual Dub to be able to encode the sound as mp3s again and where I can find it.

Many thanks for any information you might be able to provide.

~ Fire Monkey

3. Tare69

Tare69 Member

Do anybody have good advice to person how's Xp Home's Codecs are mess and wants to 'restore' all codec and media systems to default (when Xp was installed) but installing XP is out of queston?

I have tryed to fix this mess many months all ready by ffshow and so on codecs. Only thing what is fixed is Flash videos by on REG-file inporting:) My MPEG:s & Avis don't work and so on.

I have ATI AIW9800SE card with orginal drivers because new drivers do not work on TV but now I can't see saved TV-files also (I have uninstalled all ATI files and uninstalled them back, I know what I doing on that but Need to fix orginal codec drivers back now)...

- Tare69

4. _viper_

_viper_ Member

5. FireMnkey

FireMnkey Member

Thanks, I'll check that out. I wish someone would write a utility that would check a system and find all the codecs that are installed and then check a database to find which ones conflict and tell you which ones are best to keep and which you should get rid of - it would make it a;ll so much easier [heh] there are just so many codecs around and for someone like me it's hard to know what you need and what you don't need and which ones will do the best job. Oh well, I guess that's what happens when you have so many people creating different codecs and they all want their codec used.

Anyway, thanks for the help, hopefully that will solve my problem.

6. Arnold2

Arnold2 Regular member

Just a suggestion: RockXP allows you to retrieve your XP product key that you used when you installed Windows XP, as well as keys for other Microsoft products. This can come very handy if you need to reinstall but have misplaced or lost the CD cover with the serial sticker. In addition, the program also lets you save the product activation to a file, recover usernames and passwords contained in the Windows Secure Storage, as well as MSN logins, Internet connection parameters and more. Freeware
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/rockxp.html
    good luck...
    video how to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTC5YGMHBa8

Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
  7. yandao87

yandao87 Member

hi,

i've read tonnes of guide and researched many websites for .ogm files, and i come to this conclusion, if wrong , please correct me.

.ogm is a media container.

to play it,

i'll need a splitter/directshow filter(qn:are they the same thing???) to recognise the container first,
    EITHER illuminable ogg codecs for windows at http://www.illiminable.com/ogg/
    OR OGM DS Package at http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/ogg_directshow.cfm

next, i'll need the correct codec to play the file
    e.g. xvid, divx, etc

now, i meet up with a problem. i've installed illimnable's ogg codecs, but i can't play .ogm video files, but i can play .ogg audio files. my ogm file has mp3 audio and divx video. i have both codecs.

is it because i don't vobsub installed? :<

8. btlmonkey

btlmonkey Member

newbie question
    I need to ask what is a good DVD player for my PC, nothing I try for WMP9 works it keeps telling me to lower my resolution and display settings...any sugestions??

9. cimike

cimike Member

i have a bad quality of all downloads.
    i used to have red/green lines all over the downlaod or some white spots as i played them with a bs player. i've installed K-Lite Codec Pack . i don't have any red/green lines, but the picture is kind of blury and not really clear. how can i improve this?

on some downloads the picture is still bad (blury) and i have the right codec according to gspot. (it says: codec is installed).

the pic seems so be different every time i use another player. with bs-player was okay (white spots, but clean pic) and now with K lite codec pack it's blury.
    and when i burn it on a dvd the pics remains the same as it was on the pc (white spots or blury). what shuold i do? how can i get rid of this problem?

10. DSMKilla

DSMKilla Member

I am a bit confused on codecs as I feel like I might be installing multiple programs that use the same codecs and I believe that it's starting to conflict with certain programs. What codec packs should I be installing? Right now I have

Codecs6030_allinone
    ffdshow
    divix521
    XviD
    and Cyberlink PowerDVD

I am assuming that by having all of these installed at once is probably not the correct way to be going about things. Could someone please advise?

Thanks

11. CColtManM

CColtManM Member

Wow, maybe it's time the main post gets updated for HD codecs and the such.

12. lpaj

lpaj Member

i hope this wasnt commented on on the previous 10 long pages, but if it is lemme know.
    so i downloaded the k-lite codec pack version 3.25.

so surfing the internet and wanna watch some vids. however whilecliking on the link, and this only occurs on mpg vids, it opens up windows media player 11 (wmp).
    here's the rub, it downloads (as per the blue progress bar on wmp), finishes, i hear a little bit of audio but no vid. it can be rectified 2 ways: either clicking on the same link again or if i close the vid by pressing CRTL+W, press play and it works. inspite of setting to "repeat play", it will not repeat.

the odd thing is that if i uninstall k-lite, and repeat the same process on an mpg i have not viewed yet from the same web-page, no issues: it downloads and plays and repeats.
    it seems that k-lite is the culprit, but i still need to to properly view other vids.
    any ideas how this can be fixed?

cheers

13. ballboy88

ballboy88 Regular member

@booty
    i tried your link but it just takes me to a page in Italian i think with
    "Informazione
    L’argomento richiesto non esiste."
    Wharever that means (looks like doesn't exist), but no download link.

14. Tare69

Tare69 Member

My codec problem fixed with installing K-Lite codec packet + MediaPlayer 11... Now it seems to work but I have problems with AIW X800GT setup... We have PAL standard in Finland and I get NTSC-card from USA (it have sold me as PAL version :) and I can't get it work with Digi & analogic system. Only some other driver ATI T200 Unified AVStream Driver works with some cards drivers (no same set, sht software to get work) so it don't work now... (please heeeeeeelp http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33892531 )...

- Tare69

15. Armo_Babe

Armo_Babe Member

can anyone help me out here please

i'm trying to burn a movie from my computer to a DVD
    i tried Nero.Ashampoo. but both keep telling me
    that decoder's not compatible
    what can i do so that i can change the decoder , with what and to burn the movie

thanks in advance

16. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

try DVD Flick

17. lexus500

lexus500 Guest

Chaps,

I've always used the k-lite codec packs with no probs, uninstall previous versions and codecs... all over the web but a mirror for the latest version as at Jan18 can be found here;

18. lexus500

lexus500 Guest

19. fionabh

fionabh Member

Tried the Vista pack but kept geting DEP errors. I am now going to install the klite. Is there a how to manual as I tried before and was still not able to view on my media centre extender? (Xbox360)

20. FireWire2

FireWire2 Member

I'm in the same boat, after months of reading page after page in different forums
    I have very vague idea about these codec(s).

A friend of mine who works at Seagate shows me a 3x5x6 High Definition media player plays DVIX, XVID, MPEG, AVI, ISO, IFO, MPEG1/2/3/4, MKV, M2TS(Bluray), WMV, MP3...

I bought that piece!.
    Guess what my Media Center now collecting dust (4yrs old system)
    No more codec, just rip, download and watch!

In case you want to know this HD media player:
    Here is it: http://www.datoptic.com/cgi-bin/web.cgi?keywords=TVIX

They have more than one model but the M4100SH is the one I got