1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having Codec Issues? Look here.

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Praetor, Sep 8, 2003.

1. mierda05

mierda05 Member

i can hear my avi but it has no picture, any advice?

2. Peter789

Peter789 Member

Hey im pretty new to all this codec stuff
    But if anyone can help please do.
    What i have is this program called Jodix free ipod converter. For a while now i have been converting rmvb. files to ipod format(mp4).
    But recently i have tryed to convert an rmvb file and an error came up saying it could not read the file or something like that. The program reccommended that i download a codec thingy like K-Lite, i most likely dont know how to use it, but i tryed converting again but the same message popped up.
    PLease Help
    What does anybody reccommend.

3. Accept

Accept Member

I'm trying to watch a video in MKV format but there's no picture and says I need a new codec. It says I can get HEVC Video Extensions from the Microsoft Store for 99 cents. Is there a better download?

4. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

What are you using to watch the .mkv? What is the exact message?

5. Accept

Accept Member

I just recently got Windows 10. I think it's Windows 10 Movies & TV but it won't play on my VLC Media Player either. That was the whole message.

6. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

How large is the movie? I'm wondering if you could upload it to website such as dropbox, wetransfer, one drive etc., share it and then provide a link to it so I could download it. Very unusal for VLC Media Player not to play almost anything.

7. Accept

Accept Member

1.29 GB

8. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

That's not too large for any of the websites I mentioned. Care to share it?

9. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Where'd ya go?

10. Accept

Accept Member

I'm just looking for something to download that supports MKV before I join dropbox.

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

You don't have to join Dropbox and MKV is not the problem. To play MKV 2.65 files on Win10 you do in fact need HEVC (H.265) codecs. This is a newish issue. MKV is a container, not a codec format, Most MKV files are in H264. Your options are to acquire H265(HEVC) or convert the file you have to H264. Are you in the mood for a little experiment? Then try this. Download a copy of handbrake (it's free) and then convert your h265 MKV to H264 MKV. Download handbrake and install it.

1. Open you MKV H265 files
    2. Then at the bottom right choose browser and choose a folder
    3. Go to Format and use the pull down menu to choose MKV or MP4 (MP4 has broader support).
    4. At the top hit start encode and let it do its thing
    5. Then report back on how it worked

I've included two images.

https://handbrake.fr/

l

Attached Files:

12. Accept

Accept Member

Thank you. I'll have to try it in the morning and tell you how it goes.

13. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Just for information, there's nothing to download. You already have the video. You would just create an account at dropbox (not one large enough you would have to pay for it). Then you would import your video, share it and then get a link to it which you could post here.

I wanted the video to check to make sure the problem was H.265. I think what Sophocles wants you to do should work.

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Hi Wither: I wouldn't mind seeing his video either, but if he can't play it, then he didn't make it. If he requires HEVC to play it, then his video is in fact H265. That leaves only two choices, acquire and download the needed codec to play it, or convert the video to H264. Either would work. His choice, but he will have to do one or the other.

15. Accept

Accept Member

I downloaded Handbreak and first I tried MP4 but the picture wasn't vey good so I tried MKV H264 and it worked really good. Thank you.

It also went from 1.29gb to 287mb so I might try to figure out how to put the episodes on dvd with a menu.

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

You're welcome.

You can also increase the encode quality of MP4 and MKV. I generally use the Constant Framerate setting, and adjust the Quality slide bar to about 20 to even 18. Both MKV and Mp4 are using the same encoder and their video quality should be visually identical. The only difference should be the container. Here's an image for you to consider.

I use a 43" 4K HD LED TV as my pc monitor so I store my files on a hard disk. I currently have about 40 complete TV series. Don't be afraid to experiment a little.

Attached Files:

17. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

To burn a DVD-Video disc, one normally needs a paid copy of software such as Nero Video, Cyberlink, Roxio, etc.

Wanted to mention that I downloaded an HEVC .265 video from the internet. In VLC Player and Leawoo Blu-ray Player on my Vista system, both the audio and video played but, it was not played properly- there was no smooth video in most of it and there were places where it froze temporarily. On my Win 7 system, it would not play the video in VLC Player. It did play in Nero MediaHome 2021 which has the .265 codec and I was able to convert it via export to a proper 2160p mp4 video using Nero Video 2021. I tried converting the original to .mp4 in VLC Player, since the author has that, and even though it indicated it was finished, the resulting video file didn't play in anything.

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

If HEVC .265 codec is installed for NeroHome, and you have it, then I'm pretty certain it should be installed for everything that requires it.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  19. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

I don't think the Nero h.265 codec is distributed on the system. It's like VLC Player which has lots of codecs that other software on the same system doesn't have access to.

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

VLC codecs and VLC pack will work with any application that requires it. A codec is a software that only needs to be installed once.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021