1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having Codec Issues? Look here.

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Praetor, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Miroslaw2:
    That's a decent setup there :)

2. toriatee

toriatee Member

Hi, long time lurker, but 1st time poster, I am having problems with one particular file, the last part of file name is dd3.avi, it renders fine thru avicodec and gspot and says everything is supported, but when I try and play it through mp9 or any other player come to that it causes an error and the player has to close. I have removed all my codecs and installed the ones Praetor suggested. and same problem occurs. Any ideas would be gratefully received. Here is the info from avicodec:

Video : 281 MB, 849 Kbps, 29.970 fps, 480*208 (2.21:1), XVID = XVID Mpeg-4, Supported

Audio : 63 MB, 192 Kbps, 48000 Hz, 2 channels, 0x2000 = AC3 DVM, Supported

3. ronenbitm

ronenbitm Guest

Im a newbie in the codec stuff, and im the adminstrator of a little network, i got some complaints of one of the users who could not view a wmv movie, tried installing the ace mega pack (big problem) it probably created more than a 100 codecs and when i go to the control panel, sound and multimedia and then choose the hardware tab, point to video codecs and the the properties tab, i get the list of codecs, i said to myself i will remove all and then just add the ones i have on my comp, i did remove (also in safe mode) after i press ok, and the back to the properties tab, they all come back, i tried deleting the files i found i the begining of this thread and still i can't get a clear start, please tell me how do i remove the codecs to get a clear start, the windows media player (version 9) does not play any movie, it writes on the status bar connecting... and hangs out, i tried GSpot, and it two when i render it gets two a 100% and then just get stuck (probably like the Media player) pleeeese help its my CEO Computer

4. the-sci

the-sci Member

ronenbitm:
    You need to unregister each file with regsvr32.exe before removing the file. An easy way would be to use a batch file. You can get a list of your codecs on the clipboard by using GSpot (View > Installed Codecs > Video, r-clk any codec and select Copy All to Clipbboard). Syntax: regsvr32 /s /u [filename]
    (/s: silent mode - only error messages)
    (/u: unregister - as opposed to register)

This will unregister each codec from the system, after which you can remove the files without worrying about them coming back.

Hope that helps.

Now for my own question!

Praetor (or whoever else knows):
    I have a video file with WMV extension that GSpot recognises as "ASF (.WMA/.WMV)" but doesn't render. I cleaned my codec base (as described above) and reinstalled codecs as per your initial post (all of it) but it still won't render.

I have another WMV file that does render, with the render path:

VID (S) --> WMVideo Decoder DMO --> DirectVobSub (auto-loading version) --> (R)
    AUD (S) --> WMAudio Decoder DMO --> MatrixMixer --> Morgan Stream Switcher --> (R)

Do I need some other codec to play certain types of WMV? I would have thought WMP8/WMP9 codec would cover it.

Hope someone can help.

Sci

5. pingu7931

pingu7931 Member

Anyone else getting problems after upgrading windows xp service pack 2. iHave 2 machines - one I did a clean install and another I upgraded. With the upgraded one Xvid - igor pavlov's version and - after uninstall and reinstall koepii's version don't work.

6. Kachie21

Kachie21 Member

I downloaded the DivX total pack and now all my movies work great! thanks for everyone giving their input and trying to help people out!! I appreciate it!

7. the-sci

the-sci Member

Aargh! My bad! The routine I described above for cleaning out codecs doesn't work. They're still registered somewhere but I can't for the life of me figure out where it's all going on.

I tried unregistering them, moving the files out of the system32 folder, and deleting all InProcServer references to the files in the registry, and all entries in the HKCU\Software\Microsoft\ActiveMovie\driverdesc Registry key but GSpot still found them and even reinstalling the codecs via the packs didn't bring them back! WHY?!

When I undid all of that (reinstated the deleted registry keys from the backups I made, moving the files back to the system32 dir, and re-registering them with regsvr32) I was back where I started.

I tried all of that because when I play certain movies, some program crashes. The annoying bit is that it's not consistent. I can play a movie with no side-effects, and then play the same movie another time with a random unrelated (background) program crashing. So far I've had 4 programs crash on me: HotSync, Girder, GetRight and Explorer.

I know it's a codec problem as it doesn't matter which player I use to play the movies. Windows Media Player, Media Payer Classic, Winamp, whatever.

Please - does anyone have any suggestions how I might figure out what's going on? Or, better still, does anyone already know what's going on and know how to fix it?!

If no-one knows of a specific fix, does anyone know how to clean out all codecs? Are codecs enumerated in the registry? Where does e.g. GSpot look to get the list of installed codecs?

Sci

Last edited: Aug 16, 2004
  8. wooduck

wooduck Member

To Praetor
    Can you tell me if your guide way back in cfm/48608 is still up to date.?
    I am setting up a new machine and I want to get things good from the start.
    Thanks
    Wooduck

9. vossie

vossie Member

You still there Praetor?;-)

Thanks for all the wonderful work helping the less knowledgeable with the codec mess, it's a great resource.

I followed the steps discussed for uninstalling and reinstalling all the codecs. But I'm still having problems with a couple files.

One is a Divx/AC3 movie. No matter what player I use (and I've tried like 6 now), it goes fine through the silent intro, but as soon as sound hits I get a burst of noise and then it freezes. This is the first AC3 file that I've tried to play, that I'm aware of at least.

I have other movies that are Divx, non-AC3, and they play fine. Using GSpot to look at the problem movie, it says that I have everything I need, and has no problems rendering the file. But the movie still locks with all players.

Another one that is causing problems is Xvid, and again it's the first of that type I've tried to play. It plays, but has frequent freezes and drop outs and sound problems, and with most players, the player eventually crashes.

Sound card is a simple SB Live! 5.1.

Any help would be most appreciated!

10. salm

salm Member

most movies work, thanks.
    but some wont display right thayr (red and dark)
    if anybody know anything about it please help me,
    thanks in advance!

11. miller56

miller56 Member

I am having a very strange problem. Whenever I try to play a certain type of video, windows explorer crashes when I click on it. Its an mpeg.

Anyone have any ideas?

12. the-sci

the-sci Member

Looks like Praetor's either gone on holiday, or more likely, gotten fed up of us posting our codec problems to this forum. Anyone else up for taking Praetor's place?

miller56 - thank God - I thought it was just me! What does GSpot say about your installed codecs? If you don't know how to find out, open GSpot, go to View > Installed Codecs > Video. Here's what mine said. If anyone can spot any codec that shouldn't be there, or knows how I can sort out the ones which say "codec not registered" (all the VFW codes) PLEASE let me know!!

DMO _ MP4S _ Mpeg4s Decoder DMO _ Microsoft Corporation _ qasf.dll --> mp4sdmod.dll
    DMO _ (NA) _ WMV Screen decoder DMO _ Microsoft Corporation _ qasf.dll --> wmsdmod.dll
    DMO _ (NA) _ WMVideo Decoder DMO _ Microsoft Corporation _ qasf.dll --> wmvdmod.dll
    DMO _ MP43 _ Mpeg43 Decoder DMO _ Microsoft Corporation _ qasf.dll --> mp43dmod.dll
    DMO _ MPG4 _ Mpeg4 Decoder DMO _ Microsoft Corporation _ qasf.dll --> mpg4dmod.dll
    DSH _ (NA) _ ffdshow video encoder _ (NA) _ ffdshow.ax
    DSH _ (NA) _ InterVideo Video Encoder _ (NA) _ ** File Missing: D:\Program Files\Common\Bin\IVIVENC.ax
    DSH _ (NA) _ J. River Video Codec 1.0 _ J. River, Inc. _ MJVideoEncoder.ax
    DSH _ (NA) _ LEAD MCMP/MJPEG Codec _ LEAD Technologies, Inc. _ lcodccmp.dll
    DSH _ IYUV _ Ligos GoMotion Analog to MPEG Filter _ Ligos Corporation _ GoMotionAnalogToMPEG1_1.ax
    DSH _ YUY2 _ Ligos GoMotion DV to MPEG Filter (Version 1.7) _ Ligos Corporation _ GoMotionDVtoMPEG.ax
    DSH _ (NA) _ MJPEG Compressor _ (NA) _ quartz.dll
    DSH _ (NA) _ ffdshow MPEG-4 Video Decoder _ (NA) _ ffdshow.ax
    DSH _ MPEG1 _ MPEG Video Decoder _ (NA) _ quartz.dll
    DSH _ YUY2 _ DivXG400 _ (NA) _ divxg400.ax
    DSH _ MP43 _ Moonlight NicePheratu _ Moonlight Cordless Ltd. _ windivx.ax
    DSH _ DIVX _ DivX Decoder Filter _ DivXNetworks, Inc. _ divxdec.ax
    DSH _ DVSD _ SONY DV Video Decoder _ Sony Corporation _ sdvvd.ax
    DSH _ VP60 _ VP6 Decompressor _ On2.com Inc. _ vp6dec.ax
    DSH _ MJ2C _ Morgan MJPEG2000 VFW Decompressor _ Morgan Multimedia _ m3jp2kdecvfw.ax
    DSH _ WMV1 _ Windows Media Video Decoder _ Microsoft Corporation _ wmvds32.ax
    DSH _ WMV2 _ Windows Media Video Decoder _ Microsoft Corporation _ wmv8ds32.ax
    DSH _ VSSV _ VSS Decoder Filter _ Vanguard Software Solutions, Inc. _ vssv.ax
    DSH _ RUD0 _ Rududu Decoder _ (NA) _ rududu.ax
    DSH _ XVID _ XviD MPEG-4 Video Decoder _ (NA) _ xvid.ax
    DSH _ MJPG _ Morgan MJPEG Decompressor _ Morgan Multimedia _ m3jpegdec.ax
    DSH _ MP4S _ Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Decompressor _ Microsoft Corporation _ mp4sds32.ax
    DSH _ (NA) _ LEAD MCMP/MJPEG Decoder _ LEAD Technologies, Inc. _ lcodccmp.dll
    DSH _ MP43 _ Microcrap MPEG-4 Video Decompressor _ Microsoft Corporation _ Mpg4ds32.ax
    DSH _ MPEG1 _ Ligos MPEG Video Decoder _ Ligos Corporation _ lmpgvd.ax
    DSH _ JRV1 _ J. River Video Decoder Filter _ J. River, Inc. _ MJVideoDecoder.ax
    DSH _ (NA) _ AVI_PASS _ Pinnacle Systems _ avi_pass.ax
    DSH _ (NA) _ Ligos MPEG Splitter _ Ligos Corporation _ lmpgspl.ax
    DSH _ MPEG1 _ Elecard MPEG2 Video Decoder _ Moonlight Cordless Ltd. _ mpgdec.ax
    DSH _ MPEG2 _ InterVideo Video Decoder _ (NA) _ ** File Missing: D:\Program Files\Common\Bin\IVIVIDEO.ax
    DSH _ IV41 _ Indeo® video 4.4 Decompression Filter _ Intel Corporation _ ir41_32.ax
    DSH _ (NA) _ MotionWavelets Decompression Filter _ Aware Inc. _ icmw_32.dll
    DSH _ MJPG _ AVI Draw _ (NA) _ quartz.dll
    DSH _ (NA) _ Video Port Manager _ (NA) _ quartz.dll
    DSH _ QTRpza _ QT Decompressor _ (NA) _ quartz.dll
    DSH _ MJPG _ MJPEG Decompressor _ (NA) _ quartz.dll
    DSH _ TM20 _ TrueMotion 2.0 Decompressor _ The Duck Corporation _ tm20dec.ax
    DSH _ (NA) _ AVI Decompressor _ (NA) _ quartz.dll
    DSH _ (NA) _ CyberLink Video/SP Decoder _ CyberLink Corp. _ clvsd.ax
    VFW _ 3IVX _ 3ivx D4 4.0.4 _ 3ivx.com _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ AASC _ Autodesk RLE Compressor _ Autodesk, Inc. _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ ADVS _ DVSoft (TM) _ Adaptec _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ AFLC _ Autodesk FLC Compressor _ Autodesk, Inc. _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ AVRN _ Avid AVI Codec 2.0d2 _ Avid Technology, Inc _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ BT20 _ Brooktree ProSumer Video (32) _ Brooktree Corporation _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ CSCD _ CamStudio Lossless Codec v1.0 _ RenderSoft Software. _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ CVID _ Cinepak Codec by CTi _ Compression Technologies, Inc. _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ DCMJ _ dcmj_MainConcept Video V3.00a _ MainConcept _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ DIV3 _ DivX ;-) MPEG-4 Low-Motion _ Hacked with Joy ! _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ DIV4 _ DivX ;-) MPEG-4 Fast-Motion _ Hacked with Joy ! _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ DIVX _ DivX® 5.1.1 Codec _ DivXNetworks, Inc. _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ DMB1 _ Morgan Multimedia M-JPEG V3 codec _ Morgan Multimedia _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ DV25 _ Matrox DVCPRO _ Matrox Electronic Systems _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ DV50 _ Matrox DVCPRO50 _ Matrox Electronic Systems _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ DVSD _ MainConcept DV Codec 2.0.4 _ MainConcept _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ DVX4 _ DivX Codec 4.12 _ DivXNetworks, Inc. _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ EM2V _ Etymonix MPEG-2 Video Codec v1.10 _ (NA) _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ FFDS _ ffdshow Video Codec _ (NA) _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ FLJP _ Morgan 'FLJP' LSI M-JPEG Codec _ Morgan Multimedia _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ FRWD _ Forward JPEG _ Darim Vision Co. _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ FRWT _ Forward JPEG+Alpha _ Darim Vision Co. _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ FRWU _ Forward Uncompressed _ Darim Vision Co. _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ GLZW _ GLZW 1.00 _ Gabest _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ GPEG _ GPEG 1.00 _ Gabest _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ HFYU _ Huffyuv v2.1.1 _ Disappearing Inc. _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ I263 _ Intel I.263 Video Driver 2.55.016 _ Intel Corporation _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ I420 _ Intel 4:2:0 Video V2.50 _ Microsoft Corporation _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ IPDV _ Panasonic and I-O DATA DV GigaAVI CODEC _ Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd. I-O DATA DEVICE,INC. _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ IV32 _ Intel Indeo(R) Video R3.2 _ (NA) _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ IV41 _ Intel Indeo(R) Video Interactive _ Intel Corporation _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ IYUV _ Intel IYUV codec _ Microsoft Corporation _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ M261 _ Microsoft H.261 Video Codec _ Microsoft Corporation _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ M263 _ Microsoft H.263 Video Codec _ Microsoft Corporation _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ MIRO _ Pinnacle DV codec _ Pinnacle Systems _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ MJ2C _ Morgan Multimedia M-JPEG2000 V1 codec _ Morgan Multimedia _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ MJPA _ ReelTime MJPEG Codec _ Pinnacle Systems _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ MJPG _ Morgan Multimedia M-JPEG V3 codec _ Morgan Multimedia _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ MKVC _ FullMotionVideo Decoder _ (NA) _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ MMES _ Matrox MPEG-2 I-frame _ Matrox Electronic Systems _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ MP42 _ Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V2 _ Microsoft Corporation _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ MP43 _ Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V3 _ Microsoft Corporation _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ MPG4 _ Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V1 _ Microsoft Corporation _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ MRLE _ Microsoft RLE _ Microsoft Corporation _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ MSVC _ Microsoft Video 1 _ Microsoft Corporation _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ MSZH _ AVImszh Compressor _ (NA) _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ NT00 _ NewTek Inc. Version 0.0 _ NewTek, Inc _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ PDVC _ Panasonic and I-O DATA DV GigaAVI CODEC _ Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd. I-O DATA DEVICE,INC. _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ PIM1 _ PCLEPIM1 32-bit Compressor _ Pinnacle Systems _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ PNG1 _ CorePNG VFW Codec v0.6 _ (NA) _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ QPEG _ QPEG® Video Codec 1.1 by Q-Team Dr. Knabe GmbH _ Q-Team Dr. Knabe GmbH, Korschenbroich, Germany _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ RMP4 _ Sigma RMP4 MPEG-4 Codec _ (NA) _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ RUD0 _ Rududu Encoder ver 0 _ (NA) _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ S422 _ Tekram YUV422 Codec _ (NA) _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ SJPG _ White Pine M-JPEG Codec 1.13 _ White Pine Software and Paradigm Matrix _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ SONY _ Sony DV software CODEC _ (NA) _ ** File Missing: Sony DV software CODEC
    VFW _ TSCC _ TechSmith Screen Capture Codec _ TechSmith Corporation _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ TVMJ _ Morgan 'TVMJ' LSI M-JPEG Codec _ Morgan Multimedia _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ VCR2 _ ATI VCR2 Format Codec _ ATI Technologies, Inc. _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ VIFP _ VFAPI Reader Codec 1.05 _ (NA) _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ VIXL _ miroVIDEO-XL 32-bit Compressor _ Pinnacle Systems _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ VP31 _ VP31® Compressor _ On2.com _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ VP60 _ VP60® Simple Profile _ On2.com _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ VP61 _ VP61® Advanced Profile _ On2.com _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ VQJK _ Kodak EZ200 DIGITAL CAMERA CODEC driver _ Eastman Kodak Company _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ VSSV _ VSS Video Codec _ Vanguard Software Solutions, Inc. _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ WMV3 _ Microsoft Windows Media Video 9 _ Microsoft Corporation _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ WRPR _ AVI Wrapper Video Client Codec _ (NA) _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ XVID _ XviD MPEG-4 Codec _ (NA) _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ Y41P _ Brooktree YUV 411 Raw _ Brooktree Corporation _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ YV12 _ ATI YUV12 Format Codec _ (NA) _ ** Codec not registered
    VFW _ ZLIB _ AVIzlib Compressor _ (NA) _ ** Codec not registered

13. miller56

miller56 Member

This has gotten even worse now. My TV tuner stopped working and dxdiag crashes when it tests "directshow".

I'm completely fed up and I have decided to format. I'll let you know what happens.

g-spot crashes when I open it too. Something is VERY messed up on my comp.

14. SonZeRo

SonZeRo Guest

i got ace megacodec pack and on some of my movies if i open a folder containing the movie explorer crashes.

how can i fix that

15. miller56

miller56 Member

After the format everything worked. I am going to venture a guess and say that my DirectX isntallation was corrupted somehow.

16. maoh

maoh Member

ok I used Praetor's configuration and it still wont run files with ac3 audio. The video runs smoothly, but no sound even though avicodec and gspot say it's supported on my comp. When I used nimo build 9 default the sound works, but the video is very very blocky and choppy and slow. I tried that divx pack thing and it just caused everything to run with video slower than the audio, and the file I was trying to run didn't run at all, just froze on the first frame. I tried it with just divx 5.21 + xvid + ac3 and nothing. Everything runs but that one file still wont. Can anyone suggest a different codec configuration?

17. Shkeve989

Shkeve989 Member

does anyone know how to add a different audio track to a downloaded movie? Case in question: I've downloaded Van Helsing and all the audio is in spanish. Is there an english audio track that I can download so that I can hear it in english, or do I need to download the whole thing again and hope it comes out in english?

18. the-sci

the-sci Member

first of all, ur talking about piracy, which is not a good idea on a public forum like this one. if some official is browsing and happens upon your post, the possibility of getting banned from this site would be the least of your worries.

second, to partially answer your question (i won't answer the bit that relates to piracy), you can use virtualdub or some similar app to strip the audio from a video file and re-encode it with a different audio track. of course you need to have the audio as a separate file, which you don't have.

my advice, if you want to see Van Helsing in English, go buy the DVD.

19. Shkeve989

Shkeve989 Member

Does it count as piracy if I do, in fact have the dvd??? I don't have a burner or a dvd drive on my computer, and as an alternate way of backing my disc up, I wanted to just download it. If that counts as piracy, I didn't know. The thing is that where I live children have a nasty habit of trying to play my discs and thus scratch the disc up, rendering it useless. I did not think it was illegal if you own the disc. I understand your assumption that I would be stealing movies, but do not appreciate it. Many ppl I know own this movie, and I can easily see it. I just don't like my movies being ruined every time I leave the house. If there is a legal alternate route of backing up my discs, (and don't say preventative maintanence), I would appreciate if someone caught me up to speed on it.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2004
  20. the-sci

the-sci Member

Apologies for the accusation. New advice: get a DVD burner! :) They're not that expensive and backing up your movies takes minutes, compared to days, I would expect, judging by current p2p download speeds.

What you can and can't download off p2p networks depends entirely on the other users. If someone connected has stripped the English audio track off Van Helsing and shared it then yes, you can download the audio, unlikely though that may be.

Even if you get a DVD reader drive you can strip the movie to file yourself using an app like DVD Shrink.