1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having Codec Issues? Look here.

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Praetor, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Shkeve989

Shkeve989 Member

too bad that I'm a poor college kid, right? how much to dvd burner drives cost? How difficult are they to install? What are the system requirements?

2. the-sci

the-sci Member

this is a codec thread. if you want to continue this discussion please email me at 6yrypq4q8qu8fnw@jetable.org

3. Shkeve989

Shkeve989 Member

Email sent

4. koutlaw

koutlaw Guest

Can anyone help me???
    i d/led this movie. i opeded the folder and 2 files are mkv. i have AC3, motroska_pack_lite, vobsub. i played the movie in window media player, and the picture comes out perfectly. but theres NO AUDIO!!! Can anyone help me???

5. the-sci

the-sci Member

6. naddams

naddams Member

I have had many problems with codecs as well- not able to play some files. I removed them all with CODEC SNIPER and now installing the codecs mentioned here.
    All my videos are playing fine now.However I do have a
    encoding problem, I am trying to convert a xvid with VBR audio to CBR since my Philips dvd player only likes CBR @128k. Tmpeg works fine but I would like to use virtualdub and recode the audio only( to save time) but have no luck.
    VD wont open file because of VBR. I tried VDmp3 and
    encoded audio full process but end result is video choppy with no audio.
    Any ideas?
    Thanx

7. xiaobao12

xiaobao12 Guest

Praetor,

thanks a lot for putting up the codec guide. however, it was made in september of 2003. should i still follow each step to the letter? what about newer versions of files or new formats that have popped up? also, the divx link is broken.

thanks for your help.

xiaobao12

8. hata711

hata711 Member

hi,
    i got a problem with a win98 sys. its an old pc, running on PII. any good suggestions on how i shld configure the codec require for viewing any videos including real media files? i was thinking of just installing a k-lite codec pack 2.34 but i am not sure if it supports win98.
    thanks

9. thjodmar

thjodmar Member

OK, here is my problem.

My Codecs worked great before I had to reinstall my system.

After installation I had Xvid, and DIVX 5.* installed, and my vids would start and about stop 15 times or more through the movie and I would have to go a few seconds beyond where it stopped to continue the movie where it left off.

I uninstalled both codecs and installed one at a time. No difference.

I uninstalled all codecs and installed FFDshow codecs. No difference.

Installed Gspot, It said everything was fine in the the movie. All codecs installed, and no sign of error.

I tried PowerDVD, and DIVX Player, Then I tried ZoomPlayer. Still doing the samething.

I am at a lost about now.
    Any suggestions.

Thjodmar

10. SkeeK

SkeeK Member

I think something is wrong with xvid codec or something? Whenever I play certain movies, even though Gspot says they should work out fine and can render them, I get an illegal operation whenever I try to watch it. I ripped the DVD myself with Gordian Knot, and it works fine on my bro's computer.. though I've had similar problems a couple times with other videos I haven't ripped myself.
    I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the xvid codec, but it didn't help. Any ideas what might be the problem?

11. infringer

infringer Member

Two simple codec packs out there to tackle your needs are...

Gordian Knot Codec Pack at sourceforge

and Kazaalite Codec Pack...

enjoy

-infringer-

12. AtariMaxi

AtariMaxi Member

Holy SHIT!!!

I never curse but! GEEZ!! I downloaded the DivX Total pack thing, and now my files even work in Video Edit Magic!! MY GOSH MAN! Why did no one tell me about this before/?!?!?!?!?
    WOw...... O_O

13. grimmie

grimmie Guest

I actually came across this problem when I downloaded some 300+Mb of an *mpg file, but when I used AVIcodec to check what codec it uses, it was actually blank, and AVIcodec recognised this file as an audio file. I cant attach the screenshot but it looked something like this.

Filename V.codec name A.1 codec name
    F:\beach.wmv (blank) Mpeg-1 audio Layer 1

Some ideas on what should be done?

14. rplopes

rplopes Guest

Hi everybody,

I'm not 100% sure I have a codec problem but I strongly suspect it. Here's the story:

A long long time ago, back when my laptop PC worked like a charm, I had no problem playing AVI files, or any format for that matter. Then after installing one of the following (can't say which did screw my system):
    Winamp 3.0 (the one that also plays video files)
    Windows media player 9 series
    nothing was ever the same again.
    The only file format I can now play correctly is mpeg (or mpg). All the others, especially avi take ages just to open and then while playing, the image freezes after 2 seconds and stays frozen for minutes, the sound goes on without the image or is filled with cuts, and the bigger the file the worst it gets. I suspect I have too many codecs installed, but which ones do I have to delete? And will it really solve the problem?

I'll be VERY thankfull for any tip about this and thanks for spending the time.

RPL

15. bjammy

bjammy Member

I don't know what to do anymore.

I'm running window xp, no servicepacks. I've got a pretty old videoadapter: a SiS 6326 agp.

Before, I had windows 98 SE running with the latest ffdshow codecs. I could play every videofile.

Now, with windows XP and again ffdshow installed, mediaplayer, bsplayer, and quicktimeplayer crash almost instantly when I run whatever kind of videofile.

The strange thing is: when I load mpeg files in VirtualDub, everything works just fine.

Do I have a codec problem, and if so, what can I do about it?

Thanks in advance for your knowledge,
    kind regards.

16. bjammy

bjammy Member

I adjusted the video acceleration settings in mediaplayer, and put the slider just in the middle. This seems to resolve the freezing and crashing problem. Only now divx files tend to play really bumpy and slow. Anyone sugestions for a fast codec?

17. rplopes

rplopes Guest

Hello brothers in arms!

Solved my problem. I happened to have another unresolved issue in my PC (a Dell Latitude 840c). I had the infamous error code #M1004, which turns out to be a Flash BIOS bug, that error causes the computer to slow down because it thinks that the system is overheated, and one of the results was that every video file with high compression (like .avi files) that require more ressources were practically unreadable, not to mention that the CPU was constantly at 100% and that the fans were always on at full speed. A real nightmare.
    All I did was to upgrade the BIOS version to the latest and everything runs much better. However my problem did start happening after I installed Winamp, but I don't know if it was just a coincidence or a catalyst. Who cares! My PC works nice and smooth like before and no problems with video playback, that's what counts.

18. Chainik

Chainik Member

Hi guys!

Got a problem, hope somebody can help me.

Here is what I have:

WinAmp 5.08
    OggDS0995 (this one is dated 2002, is there a newer one?)
    Nullsoft Vorbis Decode 1.35
    ffdshow-20050204

and still do not get the sound track played in my AVI file (video is ok)!
    WinAmp shows in_vorbis.dll. It plays some audio ogg files. Still, the movie is soundless.

GSpot says the missing codec is something called "ogg vorbis 3 plus". What is this "3 plus"?

Any ideas? Any codec packages? Settings?
    Any other suggestions?
    Thanks in advance

19. yugioh2me

yugioh2me Regular member

wouldnt the Klite Mega Codec Pack work just as well?

20. ChrisHJW

ChrisHJW Member

Oh my :eek: .... Vorbis in AVI !! If only somebody would burn this crappy Vorbis.acm codec to avoid it being used in AVI video files.

Christian
    matroska project admin
    http://www.matroska.org