1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having Problem with HDMI on my Samsung DLP.. can anyone help!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by pennst32, Dec 28, 2006.

1. pennst32

pennst32 Member

I have recently started having some issues with the HDMI connection on my Samsung DLP...hl-5067w. Sometimes, when I turn on the TV and either my digital cable box or upconvert oppo dvd player, which are both hooked up through my HDMI, it will come on for anywhere from 10-20 seconds then go to a blank green screen, all snow or bounce back between the 2. I initially thought it was my cable box because shutting it down and unplugging the HDMI cable/reinserting it would take care of it. However, I got the DVD player and hooked it up the other day and it has happened a couple times with it as well. What could be causing this?? any help would be appreciated....oh, all the other inputs work fine. I have my 360 hooked up through component and a dvd recorder through AV/composite.

2. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

So it is an intermitten problem with the HDMI inputs on TV?..Does it play fine some times?..

HDMI in my experience is a glichy technology...It is not the end all be all as advertised...multiple formats not compatable with each other...HDMI is not about better picture & sound...It is about DRM...You will get better picture thru Component and equal sound from composite...and it will be reliable...

Unfortunatelly upconversion on DVD is only thru HDMI...

Regardless if the HDMI does work perfectlly sometimes on TV...then it maybe a problem with TV...

3. Obike

Obike Member

I have a similar probelm with my samsung lcd tv and dvd player. Mine happens when i turn the dvd player on before the tv. I get snow and jumping to a blank screen. If i turn the tv on first then the dvd player i dont have any problems.

I hope this helps

4. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@Obike
    Thanks for the input..:)

Are you hooked-up via HDMI?..I am assuming so...

5. pennst32

pennst32 Member

Yes, it does work fine alot of the time, but sometimes will just get this quirk when I start it up. Never does it once it's on, only sometimes when I am turning everything on. This is the only input it does it with, I can switch to my cable, component and AV inputs while this is happening and they are fine. However, it's only happened 1 time with the DVD player, it's mainly with the cable box, could that just be a problem with the box and TV not jiving and I should just hook it up through component?? I already have the sound through my receiver in surround with optical, so I neevr use the HDMI for sound.

6. pennst32

pennst32 Member

That's what I've had to do with mine, just wondering if it's the HDMI not jiving with my cable box (this is where it has happened 99.9% of the time) my oppo has only had it happen 1 time.

7. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

I would hook-up thru component...more reliable...NO DRM which is a good thing...HDMI is a technology that I believe will fail...Way to glichy...cables are expensive...fragile...they do not deliver better picture quality...

8. pennst32

pennst32 Member

Thanks, I may just try that and leave my Oppo upconvert DVD player through the HDMI because it's been working well (knock on wood) I'll have to swing by my cable company and grab some component cables Monday.

9. f3red

f3red Member

That has cropped up recently on my Samsung, too. I clear the condition by shutting off the TV, then unplugging it from the AC power for a few seconds. What other actions clear the condition? And yes, it is connected to the cable box via HDMI.

10. pennst32

pennst32 Member

Mine now clears up if I switch to my other HDMI hookup throiugh my AV receivers passthrough and switch back. It's a pain in the butt, but i tstill think my HDMI looks better than my component be it ever so slight, just more vibrant color.

11. RANBO

RANBO Member

i also have a samsung tv and im not getting no signal wit my hdmi cables i have it coming out of my cable box please some one help me on this one