1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having Problem with mpeg files

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by RandomH, Jun 16, 2004.

1. RandomH

RandomH Member

I'n just beyond being a nub at video editing and such, and I know how to convert most files. I usually use TMPGEnc and TMPGEnc author, along with nero to burn. I rarely have problems.

But I now have a few videos that I want to put on a DVD, and they say the file type is: "Movie file (mpeg)" and none of my programs will convert them to anything.

I downloaded 2 programs that are suppose to convert mpeg to avi, because I am familiar with avi and would be able to figure it out from there, but none of them worked. They did not support my mpeg files, despite having names suck as "MPEG TO AVI CONVERTER" and such. Any ideas would be appritiated, thanks.

2. RandomH

RandomH Member

According to videomach, the video format is: MP3/MPA, MPEG Audio Layer I/II/III

and the audio is: MPEG-2 LSF, Layer

Any suggestions?

3. zjmedia

zjmedia Member

Hi,
    Maybe you can try the software named WinAVI Video Converter http://www.winavi.com/video-converter.htm . After trying numerous methods most of which are crap I happened across to wonderful pieces of software that helped me convert my mpeg film to avi。
    First off what you need to understand is that converting any format to any other format takes time, it is a 15 minute process!!! The quickest I have seen it is the one I am going to show you now.

4. shiroh

shiroh Guest

you want to put on dvd and watch on TV ?
    if its mpeg2 720x480 or 704x480 or 480x480. and 29.97fps or 23.967fps with 3:2 pulldown flag and audio AC3 at 48khz or mp2. you can put it straight to dvd and watched on tv.

converting to avi and then back to mpeg2 is unwise, quality loss is too great. if you want to it that way, use huffyuv codec.
    otherwise, frameserve it using virtualdubmod to tmpgenc.