1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having problems from time to time when the backup of a movie is played; picture is jittery/skipping/jumpy or totally freezes???

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by jh6844, Dec 24, 2004.

1. jh6844

jh6844 Member

Hello everyone,
    I am using DVD X Copy to backup my personal DVD collection. I am having a problem when the backup copy of a movie is being played. The picture becomes jittery/starts skipping/ is jumpy or it just totally freezes. This does not happen all of the time…sometimes the movie just plays, perfectly. After the backup is complete I get the message “burned finished successfully” or something like that.

The process I go through to make my backup copies is:
    I disable my broadband internet connection.
    I temporarily disable my real time antivirus processes.
    I make sure that there are no other programs running that will be using any system resources.

I have the temporary storage area on the same hard disk as where the DVD X Copy program is installed.
    That hard disk has approx 120GBs of free space.

I have a DVD player in my living room (where the problems above occur).
    I also have individual DVD Players in both of my children’s rooms.
    On one DVD player the movies will not play on it at all (it says the DVD disk is not a valid DVD disk).
    The other will play them perfectly some of the time and not so good during other times (with the same results as above).

I have used a CD/DVD Cleaning disk on all of my DVD players. The results have not changed.

Can anyone tell me why I am having these problems????

What can I do to fix them so that they do not happen again???

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Poor media. Symptoms of poor media: Freezing,Pixelating,skips,pauses,and no disc error. The no disc errors are harder to fix.It could be the format of the disc,It does not like your burner no matter what media you use,or just a change of media. The other symptoms are usually fixed by the media change.You might even try slowing down the burnspeed of the discs you are using. What brand and format of media are you using? If the media change and slower burn does not help,maybe a firmware upgrade for your burner.I had 1 burner that I could not get any backups to play when using 4 different types of discs,but my other players played them all. I got a dual format benq,problem solved. That player plays everything off the new burner now as well as my other players and home burner. But this would be a last resort,as well as a new player.Cleaning Discs. Some members don't advise cleaning the laser lens.The laser could be bumped around.Try a small pack of maxell's.You just need to find a certain media that will play in all your stand alones. Good luck and happy holidays!!!!!!!!

3. jh6844

jh6844 Member

This is the make and model of my burner…
    [bold]Make:[/bold]
    Buslink
    [bold]Model Number:[/bold]
    DVRW882D

This is the description of my burner…
    8X IDE Dual Spec DVD-RW CD-RW40X24X40X with MY DVD, Power DVD
    DVD+RW/+R: 8x Record, 4x Rewrite, 12x Read
    DVD-RW/-R: 8x Record, 4x Rewrite, 12x Read
    CD-R/RW: 40x Record, 24x Rewrite, 40x Read

I did not see anything about a Firmware Upgrade for this burner.

I have used 3 different types of media. The first is obviously a low quality DVD disc because it has “VALUE DISC / DVD-R” on the top of it.

The second was from a company called “PENGO TECHNOLOGIES / DVD-R” (also located on the top).

The third was from the company called “IMATION / DVD-R” (also located on the top).

I do not know what the speed was on the first 2 disc(s), but the IMATION one was a 4X.

Is there a way to make the DVD X Copy program slow down the speed at which the disc is being burned or will I have to manually slow down the burn speed by purchasing a low speed disk (like a 2X or a 4X speed disk)???

Is there any other information that would help you figure this out??

Can you give me some examples of some different types of the best media to use, where to get it, approximately how much it will costs, etc?????

Can you please be very detailed??

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I am not sure how to slow down in the x-copy, I use dvd shrink and it allows me to set my burnspeed. All 3 of those medias you are using are questionable. Your pc should play your own burns,regardless of which programs you used,and they should play great.Try some + format media. Seems like many members here at AD are saying the + if overall a better quality.This is pretty much true on the members with playback problems,usually the - format has the problems. If you can get a hold of the sony +1-8x,that should help.I tend to stick to mcc,ricohjpn,and mxl-rg02.Maxell's are highly recommended in both the plus and -. If buying them in the store,look for MADE IN JAPAN
    Japan has the best media out there.Buying them off the net,it's a lot harder to tell who made them. Here are a couple of links to help in the quality of media:
    http://www.dvdinfopro.com
    http://digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Download the free program called dvdinfopro,this will tell you the code on your blank media. Then you can look that code up under the digitalfaq website.It has not been updated for a while,but will get you in the ballpark.

You said your burner is a dual-format, this has more flexibility on finding which media your stand alone/s like.
    Prices of media, the maxell's may run a buck a piece,with the jewel case. I usually find a name brand media like sony,for $10 a spindle of 25.If you have a staples,bestbuy, are walgreens,you can always find a name brand media on sale, just watch out for storebrand media and other generic brands,you don't know what you'll get with them.
    Fuji,tdk,sony, and maxell,any of these should help you.Have a merry christmas.

5. jh6844

jh6844 Member

I found a 10 pack of TDK --- DVD+R (that are upto 4X Compatible).

Do you think that these will be better??? I mean do you think that the quality of these discs will work better for me and my backups???

The TDK were listed in the top 5 listed as 1st class media on the website you gave me.

Thanks!!!

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Give them a shot nothing to lose, make sure you keep that burnspeed 4x and under. Some of my newer discs are letting me copy twice the speed than what they listed,go figure?

Some people like them,some don't, each burner is different. I haven't gotten to try them yet, the tdk+rws are working great in my stand alones.

Later

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

The only way to slow down your burn speed with DVD X Copy is to either use media with a slower rated speed or a firmware mod program such as omnipatcher for lite-on burners.

For vidio reproduction you need to use high quality media with an even azo dye layor. Any media will work for backing up files. Try some good proven media such as Taiyo Yuden, Maxell, Ricohjpn, TDK, Verbatum Datalife Plus or Sony is usually good. I bet this will solve your problem.

If you still have the same problem but only at the end of the movie, use dvd shrink and set the target size to 4300 MB.

8. LionelS

LionelS Member

I too experience freezing sometimes where compression has taken place. It always seems to be in the last third or so of the disc where it freezes when played back in stand alone machines. I use DVD Decyrpter then Shrink to do burning. The freezing may be with episodic discs or movies. I do use the cheaper discs like Omni but do not understand why the freezing when it does occur seems to be restricted to the last part of the disc. Isn't compression suppose to even out the rate so as not to overload one part of the disc like the end? Surley this would have been addressed in the software?

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Read my last post. Freezing is a common issue with poor quality media.

10. LionelS

LionelS Member

Yes I agree with previous posts, poor media can be the fault in some cases. However sometimes I will copy to a RW disc (high quality RW discs only - Sony DVD - and + RW or TDK DVD+RW). Is there any other possible causes of the freezing towards end of disc? Is there any substance to one members question if installation of XP service pack 2 may be a possible cause. Are there people out there who NEVER have discs that freeze? What are they doing right?

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

LionelS,

My backups don't freeze, if they do I consider them a coaster. I can expect about 2 coasters out of 100. I use primarily Ricohjpn R01 media and burn at 8x.

The only software issues I can suggest would be to defrag hhd, remove any ad-ware and spy-ware, shut down anti-virus programs, and disable your screensaver prior to any rip/burns.