Having Trouble Opening Up .sfv .001 .rar files? getting a valid iso? look here

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by Prestonz, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Prestonz

Prestonz Guest

Hi guys okay guys so i have like 20 games on my comp and every time i would try to make one an iso i would get this random file which wasnt an iso. Winrar didnt even assosciate with it, even though it usualy does with most of mine, so i thought mabye the .sfv was corrupt, nope. So i downloaded this program called Extract Now. You can find it http://www.download.com/ExtractNow/3000-2250_4-10228183.html?tag=lst-0-1 or http://www.extractnow.com/ it will open anything, and its free. Really easy to use, i love it is awsome, hasnt failed me yet, so if your having trouble opening up a game just try this out, dont know took me days to figure this out thought mabye it would help someone. Just take the .001 file and drop it in there click extract all and your good to go. If you have any problems just respond.

Okay so here is a pic of how my screen looks like the bottom one is when winrar will work. the top two are when i tried to force associate winrar with the game, see how all the files are all no pic so they dont know what to do. Well, extract now will do the job for you. At least it did for me, dont know why winrar doesnt work with some of em but it was really pissin me off. Peace, Preston
    http://www.81x.com/Preston/wn[img]

(if someone knows how i could put some hight quality pics up i will but yah heres what ive got)
    (link for pic)http://www.81x.com/Preston/wn

2. Prestonz

Prestonz Guest

3. punqewe

punqewe Active member

IZarc works awesome too

Usually when you get an archived game you will have;

rar files-these are the data needed to compile the game

NFO-this is and information file (open with notepad or wordpad)

sfv-this is a used with a checksum veriefier to make sure there aren't any corrupt pices of data.

Other than these i dunno what else you're getting....except maybe the odd text file from the release groups.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2005
  4. treehero6

treehero6 Member

First of all thank you. the “extract now” program in theory works great but I have a problem. When I put the .001 file in then click on extract all, it will make an iso file but I cant do or do not know what to do next. I tried to use my program called “dvd decrypter”, which I use to burn iso files, but when I try to burn the iso file that it created it gives me an error message that the file is already is in use. Then when I close the program, “extract now”, I try to burn the iso file but it disappears. If you can tell me what im doing wrong I would really extremely appreciate it. thanks

5. treehero6

treehero6 Member

i feel so stupid, what i did was i let it finish extracting but i didnt let it do what it had to do after all of that. thanks again for the program

6. Ichijoe

Ichijoe Regular member

First off .sfv is NOT AN ARCHIVE! It's a way to check the MD5 so you can check for any corruption in your Download, or in some cases that the 'File' is Genuine.

A typical .rar package should look something like this:

*.rar
    *.r00
    *.r01

So if you do not have WinRAR now might be a good time to install it! All you need to do is to find the One *.rar File (i.e. the Exeutable), and let it launch into WinRAR. Pretty simple really...

7. BR7

BR7 Regular member

8. BR7

BR7 Regular member

Don't forget the .par or .par2 files that SHOULD be included. Grab QuickPar, best program you ever used. It will fix corrupted rars, replace missing rars and check your sfv checksum if you want.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2005
  9. Ichijoe

Ichijoe Regular member

WTF is a .par? I don't think I was ever unfortunat enough to had the displasure to run into One of those. Then again most of these multi-part RAR's are in themselvs RAR'ed into just the one RAR File.

I don't think anyone here should have to worry about .par's though.

After all we live in an age were One can get a 6Mb ADSL Line! in ca. 2 Weeks (or Less!), I'm currently on a 1Mb Line, and it Sux!

10. BR7

BR7 Regular member

Pars are the best thing since sliced bread. Ever download 4+ gigs and have one bad rar file, maybe more, making unpacking useless?? Maybe all your rars verified by your sfv, but extracting still gives you an error?? I'm sure you have, everyone has. So then try to find the bad one, or two.. then redownload those again (hopefully).

So you say its a displeasure, lol..

WTF does your connection speed have to do with not woring about pars? I don't give two ***** if you have a fuggin fiber optic line. Data corruption happens, NO MATTER WHAT connection you have.

snip from my link above since you didn't read it