1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD A2---Onkyo 805

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by gotpitino, Jul 5, 2007.

1. gotpitino

gotpitino Member

My Onkyo 805 just came in Tuesday and I need some help with the audio hook up from the HD A2. I've got it connected via HDMI and when you play a HD DVD, Dolby TrueHD and DD+ sound amazing sent to the player via PCMstream. When I play a SDDVD I feel like the Bitstream of Dolby Digital, DTS, DDEX, and so on sound better than the HDMI. When you play a SDDVD thru HDMI it still says on the receiver that it's a pcmstream. You can only assign one audio input to a particular component and I've got the HDMI input assigned to the HD DVD player. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of how I could hook this up so when I played SDDVD it would play thru the optical input or if I could get the player to bitstream audio from a SDDVD thru HDMI.

2. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

I don't have the A2 but I remember reading from the avsforums A2 thread that you should set the HDMI audio output to AUTO and the Optical output to PCM to get the best results from an HDMI connection (even if you don't have the Optical port connected.) I know it may not make sense but that's what some members are saying. I'll look for the link later and post it.

3. gotpitino

gotpitino Member

I don't get it. Why would you set the optical output to PCM?

4. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

I know it doesn't make sense but that's what works for the A2 owners who use HDMI for audio.

Here's the link:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=764683&page=87&pp=30

Pay attention to the posts by ebr.

5. gotpitino

gotpitino Member

OK man, I'll give it a shot and see what happens.