1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hd and non hd av receiver

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by hddvdcd, Jan 12, 2007.

1. hddvdcd

hddvdcd Member

Ok first things first. At the moment im using a completely non hd system that i bought about 3 years ago(nobody told me about hd....) anyway, I have a sony 36" crt tv and a pioneer vsx-d1011 av receiver The tv is connected from the receiver via the s-video monitor out socket and the dvd player and video player are connected into the receiver by s-video as well through which i get the surround sound from the dvd and simulated suround from the video. My question is if i were to upgrade to the sky hd system how would i connect this up. Would a cable go from the sky hd box to the receiver (which has no hdmi inputs) or to the tv (which also has no hdmi inputs). Just to complicate things further if i were to buy a hdtv would this help this connection. Would the video signal go directly to the hdtv and some other cable go to the receiver for the sound?? The first part of this question is the most important one at the moment thanks.

2. JVC

JVC Active member

If your tv has component inputs (color coded as red, blue, & green), you will be able to get high def (with HDTV). HDMI isn't the only way to get it. There's component, DVI, and HDMI. HDMI can carry audio and video.

Wait until you have a high def tv, to get the receiver and service. If you have to buy the Sky HD system receiver, don't use up the warranty on SD tv.

Since you don't have HDMI on your A/V receiver..........yes, if using HDMI. Also, with a DVI connection.
    But with component cables, you can probably do either way, since chances are that you have component inputs and output, on receiver.