1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hd channels

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by womanless, Dec 24, 2007.

1. womanless

womanless Member

I have a hd tv and now wanting to know how to use a indoor antenna to receive local hd channels for free. Can anyone tell me how to do this. I feel kinda stupid for asking.

2. cheezzzz

cheezzzz Regular member

Match your antenna connector to the one on back of tv. Should say antenna in.

3. womanless

womanless Member

Well I did that but I am still not getting a signal. Someone said that I should try an outdoor antenna. Should I and if so which one?

4. MysticE

MysticE Active member

5. womanless

womanless Member

i can get everything with a Medium Directional Antenna with pre-amp. but to get fox I need a Large Directional Antenna with pre-amp. What does that mean and can you plz tell me one that is good? thanks for your help so far.

6. Rustbuket

Rustbuket Member

A normal everyday outdoor tv antenna is what i'm using to get my local digital channels.. I'm only 7 miles from the antenna farms and it's tricky to get them in at a decent strength. I've tried the small indoor/outdoor HDTV ones and barely got a signal with them but the old school type antenna works great.

7. philzone

philzone Regular member

You dont need a "special antenna". digital(hi-def) is broadcast in the uhf band. (along side analog ch2-13) Just an old-school antenna(preferably with a rotator) is fine. Your indoor antenna will work(not as good) if your somewhat close to a broadcast repeater. It HAS to be plugged into a digital input on your tv(hdmi, dvi, or component) give it a try before you kick it to the curb.
    People constantly throw antennas out in favor of sat. So you can probably get one for free. even if it is beat up/missing tines, take it.
    usually, the missing tines are the long ones, and aren't needed. the digital stuff comes in on the short(uhf) ones. You can also replace missing tines. Just take the long ones, shorten them (for uhf) shove them in, and screw or pop-rivet it in. I wish more people took advantage of the free hi-def. in my area, it looks way better than the hi-def cable.

8. philzone

philzone Regular member

btw... that antenneweb mentioned earlier is very useful. You put in your address, and it tells you where to point, to get more(far away) stations. i live in buffalo, and get around 20 stations(not counting redundants)

9. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Not always, WBBM/CBS in Chicago is vhf.