1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD-DVD and Bluray will only work with HDMI or DVI!!!

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by Razengan, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Razengan

Razengan Regular member

2. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

damn that bites! oh well, my dad bought an LCD with HDMI so we're safe lol. But all the others without HDMI :( a big sad face goes out for you.

3. diabolos

diabolos Guest

The info in that artical is a little mis-leading...

Then...

Its simple, if your tv isn't HDCP compatible the HDCP connections won't work. The Component Video connections will be restricted to 480i/p just like current DVD players!

-----

That entire pharagraph is un-true. HDCP was incorporated into HDMI spec 1.1 in 2004 which most manfactures have since adopted.

The cheapest one I know about...
    http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/HTIB/HTR5990.htm

Some 2004 HDTV sets as well as all 2005 HDTV sets shipped with HDCP compatible HDMI and DVI connections.

How can you test your tv or receivers HDMI/DVI port for HDCP compatibility? If your using your HDMI port with HD Satalight or with an Upconvertion DVD player then your tv is ready for Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.

HDMI.org about HDMI and HDCP
    http://hdmi.org/manufacturer/faq.asp

-----

That part is very true. I feel bad for new Media PC owners. Windows Vista is slated to be fully compatible with HDCP.

-----

Thats a little bias.

What is this person talking about? HDCP is apart of HDMI and DVI-D. HDCP will be used with both Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, Windows Vista, and Apples new OS. AACS will be used in Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.

What they seem not to understand is that HDCP is a form of DRM. HDCP is DRM for the hardware that allows content owners to decide how there content can be used. It doesn't matter what the source is. Meaning that if you want to play the new Titanic available in the 720p HD format via download or DVD (in WMV-HD/VC-1) your PC has to have HDCP compatible outputs in order to play it back on an HDTV with HDCP compatible inputs. Why becuase VC-1 files are copy protected.

(VC-1)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VC-1

(WMV-HD)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WMV_HD

-----

Get real information:

(HDCP)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCP

(AACS)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AACS

This article suckx. It serves only to make my job harder and pedal mis-information.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2006
  4. arcanix

arcanix Active member

It's possible to use analog inputs, if you have a hdcp-supporting signal converter like this:

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Products/Video/DCDA1.ASP

They're damn expensive right now, but much more less than a new tv. I bought a 27" lcd with no dvi/hdmi, just vga, component and some others. First I was pissed when I heard this, but then found these signal converters <3

5. Jkhmmr

Jkhmmr Regular member

Ah but what about the rest of us with just a normal TV who were relying on older TV support by Sony???? Will that still work??? And I very highly doubt I can find it here in my country.

6. arcanix

arcanix Active member

Well regular tv resolution is 480i, so it's pointless to even try viewing hd-material, since it's physically impossible. It's as impossible as watching dvd's with commodore 64.

7. diabolos

diabolos Guest

@ arcanix,

All "Set-top" boxes have analog outs that are always on so that older analog equipment can still be used (typically Composite Video and S-Video). The outputs are restricted to 480i (including HDTV broadcasts). Meaning that 480i is the resolution all broadcasts are downconverted to. For example, many people still record tv using the VHS format. The VHS machines use composite video which can only handle 480i signals. If CSI comes on which is broadcast at 1080i the ATSC tuner would downconvert the 1080i signal to 480i then send it to the Composite and S-Video connections.

There is no reason why these outputs can't be used with analog tvs aswell. I would use Composite Video with a VCR and S-Video with a tv.

As far as the USA, next year all tvs and other tv components that have analog tuners built-in (ie VCRs, DVD recorders, ect...) must have Digital TV tuners built in to them also!

FCC News (PDF):
    http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-262013A1.pdf

FCC (DTV page):
    http://www.fcc.gov/dtv/

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2006
  8. arcanix

arcanix Active member

Of course I know that, but I was talking about hd-signal, which you can't view in a normal crt-tv in any way (talking about unscaled).

9. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Thats cool, I was just making sure everyone was on the same page.

Ced

10. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Sony's first Blu-ray player BDP-S1 will output HD signals via component cables. This is a real benefit for those with early HD TVs. This may not last long, but the first Sony player will allow it. On the other hand, its HDMI version is 1.1 which will not pass the uncompressed Dolby TrueHD or DTS signals that work only with HDMI 1.3. Progress is so fast these days that products are now obsolete even before they are released!

11. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Only work with HDMI 1.3? Can anyone confirm that DTS-HD and/or Dolby True HD work through the Multi-Channel audio outputs or at least the digital audio connections?

Ced

12. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

HDMI 1.1 and 1.2 will not pass those audio signals. They may be carried as decoded analogue signals or perhaps even as decoded digital signals via Toslink or some other means, but the audio/video digital HDMI will have to be 1.3 as far as I understand.

13. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Yea that is true. HDMI 1.3 is the only version compatible with the new audio formats DTS-HD and Dolby True-HD. My question is will the 6 Channel analog audio outputs available on the Toshiba HD-A1 and HD-XA1 models as well as Sonys Blu-Ray player carry the DTS-HD and or Dolby True-HD audio streams. Also is Optical or Coaxial digital audio able to carry the new audio formats digitally.

Ced

14. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

I can only hope that some players will decode the signals within the player and send the decoded signals out via either analogue RCA cables or as a digital stream via digital connections. HDMI 1.3 audio is meant for receivers that can decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD, and there are none yet. A lot of people have invested big money in "flagship" surround receivers costing up to $6,000 that cannot be updated to decode the new uncompressed digital audio signals. If the player has the decoders and can send the decoded signals out, there is no problem (except that there are typically 6 analogue inputs and HD audio will have 8 discrete channels).

15. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Yea 7.1 vs. 5.1. From what I have read DTS-HD and Dolby True-HD are backwards compatibile.

You are right about the PCM part. HDMI 1.0 can carry up to 8 channels of uncompressed PCM channels. That is how Dolby and DTS plan to satisfy early adopters.

This artical explains everything very well:
    http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/trueHD/avrs/trueHD_avrs_1.html

The artical shows that the Pro Logic IIx chips should be used to recreate the 6.1 or 7.1 modes from 5.1 sources (analog or digital).

Pro Logic IIx:
    http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/prologic_IIx.html

Ced

16. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

Looks like the above may not be true.

17. arcanix

arcanix Active member

18. diabolos

diabolos Guest

When it hit the fan the consumers won the battle! The movie studios couldn't cut out the early adopters because that would have lead to immediate failure. To my knowlege the Westing House 42" monitor (2006) is the only HDTV that can except 1080p via its component video inputs.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2006
  19. handsom

handsom Regular member

I understand the whole wanting 1080p; but it's recently been confirmed by Sony; that the PS3 will actually only be 720p anyways. And aside from that; most moves aren't even recorded at the quality of 720p. So really, what's the point?

I think the whole HDMI only thing is really going to blow over quickly. HDMI may be preferred; don't get me wrong. But too many people have already invested in newer High-Def units that don't support it. And quite frankly, we aren't about to replace a tv that still feels brand new. Besides; not everyone really notices the detail difference between 480 and 720. I do. But I really think that only a select few will notice 1080 over 720.

And I'm not here to PS3 bash. I'm sure it will be a largely successful console with great hardware and games. I simply mentioned it; because bottom line here; it's expected to usher in the big HDMI era... Especially with the whole "We're the first *true* HDTV" statement.

It sounds like sony was trying to be really bold with their bleeding edge high end electronics. But negating other products that are still considered top of the line is hardly a good way to do that. I have a 9 month old Sony HDTV that doesn't have HDMI. And I'm sure that I'm definitely not alone. HDMI is wonderful; but it can't be a requirement.

20. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Its not about HDMI as much as it is about HDCP. HDMI 1.1 and newer DVI ports support HDCP.

Where is you proof that people can't see a difference between 480i/p and 720p? Have you seen a 1080p set with your own eyes? Most things depend on how large the screen is and how far away the seats are.

What do you think HDMI is a fad? HDMI has already replaced DVI for home theater equipment and is the connection of choice for all new HD equipment. It does out preform component video and simplifies installation greatly.

Actually movies use a 1080p(@24fps) telecine transfer process. Any other resolution is a derivative of the original 1080p transfer (including the 480i DVD version)!

Where did you hear or read that? I'm not saying your wrong but it does sound like a lie to me.

Ced