1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD-DVD and Bluray will only work with HDMI or DVI!!!

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by Razengan, Feb 26, 2006.

1. diabolos

diabolos Guest

There is no picture quality difference between HDMI 1.0 and HDMI 1.3 so technically it will be HDMI 1.0 quality in either case (as long as there is no copy protection crazyness).

What I mean is HDTV is HDTV. Yes 1.3 is supports greater resolution and color depth but HDTV doesn't!

Ced

2. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

If they're is no picture quilty differnce why did they come up with 1.3?

3. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

HDMI 1.3 will allow advanced audio codecs - Dolby True HD and DTS-HD.

4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

To a receiver yes but to a HDTV no. I don't know of any HDTVs that can accept anything other thing 2 Channel PCM.

HDMI 1.3 supports alot of future Audio and Video technologies including; lossles audio and new color spaces.

HDMI 1.3 AD thread...
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/358116

See HDMI.org for more info...
    http://www.hdmi.org/press/pr/pr_20060622.asp

--------------

When I say the future I mean stuff like this...

Sony 82" Bravia with xvYCC color space support!
    http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/200601/06-002E/index.html

A pic of the tv...
    [​IMG]
    Notice it says Higher Definition above the tv :)

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2006
  5. handsom

handsom Regular member

Honestly, it seems irrelevant at this point. The majority of people aren't buying 80" monitors and thousand dollar receivers. The average user does not truthfully have a huge interest in these. Again, let's remember that most users aren't even HD equipped yet. The number is growing but it's easily less than one in five homes. If not even lower. These new "Higher" def units don't mean anything to most users, even most of the 'savvy' people out there won't be using this equipment for at least a couple years. Again, it's a matter of practicality in cost.

But eventually, this *will* all be standard. But I don't think that will truthfully happen until the industry reaches another stopping point. We're reaching an interesting point in this technology, because we're closing in on (And some would say we've passed) the limit of usefulness on this higher end technology. After a certain point, no one, and I mean no one will be able to tell the difference. Most people who own HDTVs can't truthfully tell you the difference between 720p and 1080p. Unless you're very close, or have a VERY big tv, you just can't tell in most cases. And the oddest thing here is that in this way, a technology is nearing it's useful limitation. And after that, there's not much else to do with it. So where will the industry go next? Rumble pack enhanced DVD's?(I pray not. Not because it would necessarily be bad, but because it would be such a useless gimmick.) Really, they can add more and more speakers until you don't have the capacity for any more in your home; but can you really tell the difference in sound quality, when you go from 96kbps surround to 128? No. Why? Because, again, the original source wasn't that high to begin with. And unless you go through and painstakingly retouch it (Star Wars stlye), you'll never surpass the original quality anyways. And one other newsflash, studios STILL aren't filming in anything comparable to 1080p, so I don't think there is anything like an iminent reason to upgrade any time in the near future, for MOST users.