1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD-DVD (movie only rip) to DVD-9

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by dizzyduck, Nov 3, 2007.

1. dizzyduck

dizzyduck Regular member

A friend of mine has backed up a couple HD-DVDs onto his hard drive. He ripped only the main feature and left menus,extras,etc. off. His resulting file is mkv container with a size of 7.8GBs. I was wondering if we can use DVDLAB Pro to author the mkv to DVD-9 and still get HD-DVD @ 720p resolution or do you need software with HD support like DVDIt HD or Scenarist? I'd like to know for myself too because I just bought the Toshiba HD-A2 and would love to backup the few HD-DVDs I have and keep resolution. Or would this method produce quality equal to a standard DVD upconverted via my HD-A2?

2. sk8flawzz

sk8flawzz Regular member

are you sure he backed those up himself?
    well no you cant take the .mkv and its streams and author to dvd and keep resolution.
    it will go to 720x480, just take good care of your hd dvd's

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  3. dizzyduck

dizzyduck Regular member

Yes he backed them up himself. He just bought a HD-DVD drive for his PC and watches his backups on his PC. I just didn't know if there was software available to author to DVD9 and keep the 720p resolution.

4. dizzyduck

dizzyduck Regular member

Alright sk8, just a quick question. DVDLab has the option to accept non-dvd sizes. If I author it using 1280x720 resolutions, I know it wouldn't play in standard DVD player, but wouldn't my HD-DVD player recognize it as HD compliant disc?

5. gigabyte8

gigabyte8 Member

Any answers?

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

sk8flawzz - that userbar is 190kb ie way over the allowed 50kb, change or remove it ASAP

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  7. sk8flawzz

sk8flawzz Regular member

hmmm i dont know...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  8. dizzyduck

dizzyduck Regular member

Okay. I answered my question. DVDLab doesn't support mkv files. Only mpv, which is video only. So, I guess I need to find a way to convert mkv to mpv and rip the audio from the mkv. Audio rip isn't a problem. Any suggestions on mkv to mpv?

I converted the mkv to a 1280x720 MPEG-2 with Super and it came out to 7.0GBs. Came out to 13GB when trying to encode to 1440x1080 HD on DVD-9 using Ulead Movie Factory Plus 6. So no go there. Any other ideas?

9. DakSurf

DakSurf Member

I had a friend ask me the same questions so I did an extensive search. The software and most hardware just hasn't caught up with the HD format. Protection coding and other things haven't been totally cracked. Plus the fact there is a fight in the industry right now whether Blu-Ray or HD DVD will become the leader. It reminds me of the Betamax and VHS battle many years ago. VHS eventually won of course but it's not cost effective for production like Warner Bros or Paramount to have to make two kinds of disks just to suit the two available formats. Eventually one of them will win out over the other. And I hope that happens soon. There are movies on Blu-Ray that I'd like to see but more on HD DVD so I bought an HD DVD player. When the battle is over I'm sure the software will start flooding out to do the same we can now with the older DVD's.

And BTW.. AnyDVD supports both HD and Blu-Ray. But it only works if your system is compatible. I think the minimum is a dual core CPU and an HD drive. And an HD video adapter as well.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  10. vamsilak

vamsilak Regular member

half is tue and half not

u can backup ur movies wither blu or hd
    but u can't just choose the movie only from the blu or hd
    and put it on dvd9 with dvd pro

eventually u will loose 720p0480p

at this moment as far as i know u can't even playback the backup content from the harddrive
    i don't know about backup blu on disc yet

11. david89

david89 Guest

yes you can do it with Sonic Scenarist keep 720p Resolution not easy have re-encode away for software accept it i am trying find right encoder myself do this ask your friend what software he used make them and post back if you can. i am looking see anybetter software do it plus i tryed out Ulead DVD MovieFactory wants re-encode the hd files suck lose more quality plus it using mpeg-2 suck for high def i want use avc or v1 one real high def codecs.

12. tddk

tddk Member

No offense, but "your friend" didnt backup those hddvds, he got the rips from another "source". How do I know, because noone would backup an hddvd that they bought to watch them on their pc, its a waste of time. Why buy it just to rip it to watch it on a pc, when that would take a extremely long time to encode them to a new format to save to your computer. "He" acquired those hddvd rips by other means. It is no coincidence that your "friends" rips happen to be the exact same size and compressed to the mkv format as those found from other "sources". You don't need to go into some huge story about it to cover it up, we arent that dumb.

However, besides the actual issue of where they came from, why not do the following:

1. Connect an external harddrive to the computer.
    2. Copy the rips
    3. Play them on your computer using video out to your hdtv.

Its what everyone else does, its a waste to throw them on disposable media and takes too much effort when a simple solution would be to just play them off your computer to your hdtv. Your computer should have hdtv out and you can pick up a 20ft component video cable pretty cheap now a days, or just directly connect vga to your hdtv if it has the inputs. Converting them from mkv to dvd9 will lose quality...just leave them as mkv's and use the coreavc codec and gom player to play them on your computer using hdtv out.