1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD-DVD to AVCHD?

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by keebles, Dec 3, 2008.

1. keebles

keebles Regular member

Is this possible? I heard that hackers have converted Blu-ray movies to AVCHD format and burned them to dvd5. Can this be done with HD-DVD?

2. jhuk2008

jhuk2008 Member

Yes it is.

The easiest way is to rip your HDDVD with AnyDVDHD then use your ripped video in nero vision (the one with nero 9)to create a BD5 or BD9.

BD5 is Single Layer DVD use 720p for this
    BD9 is Dual Layer DVD use 1080p for this

Note the following:

I have not tried this on HDDVD just BluRay but the only difference may be the video file format. You may need to re-encode the video with another program before nero excepts it (not sure).

Also note you will want to strip unnecessary audio formats from the ripped video file. with blu ray i use TSmuxeRGUI.

Please let me know how you get on because i just ordered loads cheap HD DVDs with the intention of converting them to BD9 for PS3.

3. stacychen

stacychen Guest

removed by loco

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2008
  4. david89

david89 Guest

after you get it ripped you can allso try megui and use avchd profile i havn't tryed it out yet pretty sure should work.

5. keebles

keebles Regular member

I found a way of doing it with out nero 9
    1) Rip with DVD Fab 5
    2) Demux using EVOdemux.exe(after loading Feature_1.evo read the xpl(tells you which format is used on the disc along with which audio track is which(English, French, Spanish, ect..)
    3) Convert the audio track from (ddp, dts, eac3, ect..) to ac3 using EAC3toGUI.exe
    4) Use tsMuxerGUI.exe to create a .ts file
    5) Then use RipBot264 to convert it to .m2ts( shrink the resolution to 1280x720 for a 4.7gb disc and restrict the size of the file to 4096mb(4.7gb). Then change the fps to the lowest you can go( I believe it is 23 fps.
    6) Then use tsMuxerGUI.exe again to creat a blu ray format( I created a folder called bd5 and created the blu ray folders/files in the bd5 folder using tsMuxerGUI.exe.
    7) Then burn the bd5 folder using imgburn.exe(make sure to creat it under udf 2.50 format in order to allow the blu ray player to read it.
    So far I have converted the following movies from HD-DVD to BD5 with no problem.
    1) Full metal jacket
    2) 300
    3) The bourne Identity
    4) Firewall
    5) Pitch Black
    6) Black Rain
    The only ones that I have had issues with is King Kong and Aeon Flux. King Kong you have to demux each .evo separately. Feature_1.evo needs to have a 860ms audio delay in order to sync with the picture. it also needs to have some of it removed(parts of the video loops at the end of Feature_1.evo(no sound on the loop part).Feature_2.evo doesn't need any changes. I am converting it to .mp4 format(RipBot264) and am going to try to edit it using nero 9( I have tried editing it in .m2ts format and nero 9 messes with the audio( even though it is in sync before it is put in nero, once in nero, the audio speeds up) and then convert it to a .m2ts format(uncompressed(trying to keep the quality). Then run it through RipBot264(again) and shrink the file down. Then use tsMuxerGUI.exe to create a bd5. I don't usually use nero to encode because it always wants me to reduce the quality of the video( I have tried nero 9, and it didn't keep the picture looking as good as the process that I described above). For Aeon Flux, I haven't figured out how to convert it( audio is out of sync no matter how much of a delay I put in and how many settings I change in EVOdemux( I researched the settings and know what they do).

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  6. jhuk2008

jhuk2008 Member

Good guide, some extra info for you:

You only need ANYDVDHD and RIPBOT264

1) You dont need to RIP the DVD to HD first with DVD Fab if you have AnyDVDHD running. You can just go add in Ripbot 264 and select the first video in the playlist in the add video section. You select the video stream directly from the Blu Ray E.G with King Kong just select Feature_1.evo and it will automatically find that in the playlist and auto select Feature_2.evo.

2) You dont need to use EVODemux because this can be achieved directly in RIPbot 264. When the files have been analysed after you add them you have the option to select the Audio you want to encode and the rest will be discarded automatically.

3) I do 1080P DVD9s and the results are very impressive. Its worth going 1080P for the stepup in quality IMO. Just select 'lock to' the 8Gig (ish) output size in RIPBOT264

4) You dont need tsmuxer to create the BD5 structure. You can do this in RIPBOT just select blu ray as you output not mp4. Also in the video options select AVCHD Compatability. Ripbot 264 will automatically create all the folders.

I have been using the above method on Bluray and HD DVDs for some time and never had a single issue or problem with audio sync or anything else.

Hope this info helps, i was using Nero 9 but also had a few issues with synch so researched the other ways.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  7. jhuk2008

jhuk2008 Member

I made a mistake, i forgot to say a 3rd software requirement. ImgBurn.

Also I refered to BluRay but its the same for HDDVD.

Hope the info helps you with Aeon Flux.

8. keebles

keebles Regular member

Ok I will try your method also and get back to you with the results.

9. jhuk2008

jhuk2008 Member

Did you get the method to work?

10. keebles

keebles Regular member

still the same results with aeon flux. Audio is out of sync.

11. jhuk2008

jhuk2008 Member

Seems very strange. I dont have the disc myself so cant test it but i do have King Kong and thats fine.

What happens if you rip to HD and then playback the evo before ay conversion?

12. soniq

soniq Member

In my experience, you have to pay attention to the video codec. Aeon Flux looks like it uses MPEG2, which is rare in HDDVD and BluRay. This might cause a problem?

13. narcissus

narcissus Guest

spam removed

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2009